New York | 424 Fifth Ave | Ft | Fl

4 Likes

The Old Tiffany HQ is a gem!

4 Likes
2 Likes

so Manhattan West, Moynihan Station, Fifth Avenue… this is turning into another pageant contest only with landlords instead of states and municipalities. At least we don’t have to worry about any tax breaks this go around.

https://rew-online.com/2019/07/amazon-checks-out-lord-taylor/

2 Likes

5 Likes

Nice update, didn’t realize they were gonna gut renovate it. Makes sense though for office conversion.

I’d love it if the ground level of this beautiful building gets restored. I’d also like to see the building on the end demolished, together with the PoS in the middle.

I’d also like to see these two pieces of junk on the SE corner of Madison and 33rd get redeveloped.

4 Likes

Today. More scaffolding and each side of the street has a ton of activity.

4 Likes

The whole building is now wrapped in scaffolding.

4 Likes

Amazon might relieve WeWork of the property. The renovation would have to be completed before a deal is closed.

5 Likes

https://forum.newyorkyimby.com/t/new-york-various-news-about-our-city-and-q-a/1700/432?u=yimhudson

1 Like

Forgot we had a thread for this. Thank you @YIMHudson

“A year after closing on its $850 million purchase of the Lord & Taylor building at 424 Fifth Avenue, WeWork has officially sold it for $978 million, according to city records.

Amazon has taken the Fifth Avenue landmark off the hands of the co-working giant following a tumultuous year as it juggled to fund its purchase and renovation of the 11-story, 660,000 s/f property.

Neither Amazon nor WeWork responded to emailed requests for comment on the deal, but it has been reported that the e-commerce behemoth plans to use the property as its New York City headquarters, housing several thousand employees.”

6 Likes

Scaffolding mostly down now. The new clean facade looks nice.

7 Likes

I love that they left the Lord & Taylor sign. The building looks great. I have many fond memories having worked there as a manager in the 70’s and a buyer in the mid 80’s. Did they leave the employee restaurant and outdoor lounging space on the roof?

2 Likes

The food hall will be named after Dorothy Shaver, the long-ago president of Lord and Taylor.

1 Like