NEW YORK | 685 5th Ave / Mandarin Oriental | 350 FT | 30 FLOORS

Mandarin Oriental

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/new-mandarin-oriental-hotel-residences-rooftop-pool-coming-685-fifth-avenue/28601

10 Likes

Not crazy about the base, but otherwise: WOW!

3 Likes

Yeah, they really improve the look by putting on a crown. The offset tower reminds me of Ralph Walker.

2 Likes

Sadly, the base was buthchered long ago. The Fifth Avenue side looks particularly bad.

I’d also like to see this office tower across the street redeveloped. While it’s not a heinous eyesore, it’s nothing special. However, it occupies an ultra-prime location that warrants something much fancier.

3 Likes

This is not the building. It’s the building across the street. I see it every day when I go to work and it’s beautiful. The Coach store is particularly nice in my opinion.

1 Like

Speaking of butchered bases, the Takashimaya building was needlessly glassed.

1 Like

I know. I used to live right near this site. I’m stating that this tower should come down too.

1 Like

I agree

1 Like

'tis true, alas (re: your first point). I would have hoped they would do more to improve it. Still, it looks better here than in the yimby post from Friday and the residential entrance looks fine.

1 Like

That’s from the prior tenant. I hate it when tenants destroy historic facades.

1 Like

I think it do not need any improvement its actually perfect to have.
There are many people who like to spend their time in a very luxurious manner and its perfect for them.

looks to be getting started

5 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

I hope that the nearby Rolex tower is still in the works.

1 Like

8 Likes

City Realty photo:

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/look-inside-mandarin-oriental-residences-luxury-hotel-without-guests-quietly-launches-sales/28601

3 Likes

I hope that these sell out at obscene prices and precipitate more development on Fifth.

These two lame little buildings should come down.

This building is tolerable, but a 1,000’+ Stern would be preferable.

This whole block should come down.

1 Like

I’m surprised anyone can use the term oriental these days(?)

1 Like

I love the addition.