NEW YORK | 418 11th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

I disagree with “best building ever proposed” but yes, I really love it. And hopefully, it eventually gets built, fingers crossed. The site is still empty as far as I know.

4 Likes

I love Chicago too, but it’s not in NY’s league in terms of anything. Chicago has an acute Napoleonic complex vis-a-vis NY and is obsessed with Gotham. However, NY does not consider it to be a peer city.

2 Likes

Chicago isn’t in NYs tier but it’s also a solid tier above other cities. Other multi million cities, like LA, Houston are nowhere close to even Chicago. Chicagoans want to prove they are a real city rather than be grouped in with the suburban sprawl fake cities

4 Likes

NYC has nothing to envy to these cities

1 Like

Clean streets due to alleyways, wide sidewalks with beautiful plants, a river that cuts through the city, actual sandy beaches accessible via a 5 min bike ride, significantly fewer tear downs in the downtown, and others. I wouldn’t say nothing.

Of course there are all the negatives and I’m not saying Chicago is better, but NYC is by no means perfect.

5 Likes

People, you’re way off-topic. This chat is about SITE K not how you feel about different cities.

5 Likes

I really love this design actually. I think it is much more interesting and will get a lot of headlines if it gets built due to the unique shape and different angles. I also like that it is minority designed. I have my fingers crossed for this one.

3 Likes

This thing is monstrous… and not in a good way. The design is an abomination. I loathe it.

4 Likes

I don’t hate this, but it still bothers me.

The details are nice. It’s tasteful and classy. And I usually appreciate unique, bold designs.

But the whole tapered cantilever thing just screams “because we can” over any other reason I can think of. It seems like a structural engineer just wanted to show off, rather than it serving any functional purpose or specific design goal. This would make a great thesis project, but as a real building? Why?

6 Likes

The cantilever makes sense if they are planning on putting the offices on top. The higher floors can be leased for a higher price so it makes sense to have larger floor plates up top. Remember back when 5WTC was rumored to have trading floors which would have exceeded the size of the buildings base. Well this is a refinement of that logic in a mixed use application. Also since this will include an observation deck, given the allowable square footage of the development it makes sense that this is the inverse of the typical taper as it rises concept since that would limit the amount of space that would be open to the public up top. So no I don’t think it’s just because someone wants to prove they can do it. This design IMO fits the programming.

2 Likes

It is awkward looking. I believe people in general do not like to see objects (buildings in particular) that seem to defy gravity; and therefore on the brink of collapse. It is a natural desire to want to see buildings that impart a sense of symmetry, balance, stability - in turn ‘we’ feel in balance, calm, stable.

That is my philosophical hypothesis as to why this is ‘awkward, ugly’ not nice looking.

I suspect this Architect may turn out to be a ‘one-hit-wonder’ with that nice looking building on William Street that has the arched windows, and dark stone facade: that is a tower with balance, beauty and stability.

3 Likes

His museum design on the mall in DC is superb.

4 Likes

Even though it cantilevers it has symmetry and balance that makes it very pleasing. It also helps that it is not 1600+ feet tall, although that monstrosity on Broadway on the Upper West Side is not tall and it is discomforting as well.

Sir David Adjaye is far from a one hit wonder. Perhaps in NY - yes. The only tall skyscrapers he’s designed would be this and the one on William St.

Completely agree with rbrome. I don’t hate it, but it bothers me. It’s most impactful view is when viewed from afar - and its only when you get closer do you see the smaller details. This looks like a competition model, not a finalized design :grimacing:

1 Like

rightfully forgotten, before 130 William he was responsible for this blight in the Bronx. Some more redemption is in order.

4 Likes

I’m glad a design like this is being considered for the Hudson yards rather than the WTC site. I think the far west side area can handle eccentric design as opposed to lower Manhattan. The height of 1663 must be kept at all cost, no compromise.

1 Like

Looks a little too much like the burj though! You have to have a bit more visual definition between the spire and the main tower. The proportions are also made out of whack.

There’s no way I believe this thing will stand until I see schematics of the structure

I like the design with a big spire like the Empire State Building.

What about this then?

3 Likes