NEW YORK | 418 11th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

1663 feet.

4 Likes

The best scenario for that happening on a super tall is a developer using pre-cast brick panels.

1 Like

I think any future masonry supertall will probably be a residential tower. Office tenants seem to like large windows to let in lots of light. Future office supertalls might have masonry accents, but a true stone-facade supertall (where the facade is clearly more stone than glass like ESB and Chrysler) would likely be luxury condo or hotel.

I wonder if this is just a typo. I hope that it’s not.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a typo. The articles in REW and Building Design & Construction also say 1,663 feet.

1 Like

This is going to be very interesting, now that we might have two 1600ft skyscrapers! :smiley:

The original article revised the height so I’m thinking it’s not a typo.

1 Like

1 Like

this thing is going to look so massive from up the Hudson River. (if it gets built this high that is)

Holy sh…it!!!

This is good news!!!

1 Like

Wasn’t the deadline for proposals back in May? I’m thinking this is the selected design.

https://esd.ny.gov/sites/default/files/rfp/FINAL-Javits-SiteK-RFP-March-4-PUB-DATE.pdf

In the request for proposals, it says this for selection criteria

Since the building is being proposed by an all minority consortium, maybe that got them the full 5% from the diversity practices checklist, allowing Peebles and Adjaye to win the bid, assuming most bidders are about equal on everything else

Of course we haven’t seen other proposals, I think it’s strange we have only seen this one, and have a very specific height. Maybe they have won are they are the front runner bid

Update: this building has been named Affirmation Tower and the 1,663 ft height was confirmed by another source

4 Likes

1663 feet.

My goodness. The world capital is on an inevitable collision course with a 2000 footer.

4 Likes

I don’t want to hyperbole but if this building, plus with 175 Park gets built, it would make Dubai, Chicago, Shanghai, Shenzhen, Beijing, and Hong Kong feel nervous in terms of height

2 Likes

The facade on this reminds me of the original WTC.

4 Likes

I hate this design, the steps never did it for me.

4 Likes

I love Chicago but it doesn’t even belong on that list with NYC. In terms of height, NYC blew it out of the water over the past few years with all of the new 400+ meter buildings. Chicago has one building with a roof height of 400 meters or more and might have two in 2030 if Tribune Tower is built. Meanwhile NYC will have at least half a dozen.

3 Likes

Should just put BIGs 2WTC next to this and make a pairing like OMA’s Greenpoint Landing towers.

9 Likes

Was just having a similar conversation over on SSC. On its own, this design truly freaks me out. But if it had a counterpart tower – creating the illusion of “interlocking” or “supporting” – much like the Greenpoint Landing towers seem to balance one another, I would feel much better.

2 Likes

Yeah, I understand your logic. Had the 2008 financial crisis never happened, both New York and Chicago would rival each other with their proposals.

3 Likes

Absolutely true. The Chicago Spire was the first project I started paying attention to when I became interested in skyscrapers (in addition to the new WTC complex).

The Chicago Spire is the best building ever proposed in an American city.

6 Likes