NEW YORK | 418 11th Avenue | ? FT | ? FLOORS

I mean, @mcart is right.

2 Likes

I am European.

Sure, it’s “unbuilt” because it hasn’t started/ is still a proposal like @mcart said, any tower that hasn’t yet started would be considered “unbuilt”. But that doesn’t mean the overall project is cancelled. You come to conclusion much too early/quickly.

Speaking on an unrelated matter, shouldn’t this thread really just be titled as the street address 418 11th Avenue since there hasn’t been an actual design chosen. We shouldn’t really be prematurely choosing the Affirmation proposal since we haven’t even seen the other proposals and don’t know which one will actually be chosen.

6 Likes

True. There we’ll keep it like that until a proposal is chosen.

4 Likes

I was getting excited when I see 12 messages from this thread because I thought there was some good news for the tower. Turns out it’s somewhat the opposite lol

7 Likes

That has nothing to do with this tower

1 Like

Would you like me to write you a good note?

What good note are you talking about? If it’s about inflation/recession then I’ll tell you this, it has nothing to do with this tower and any developments.

And to clearly tell you this again based on what @mcart said, this tower (the site) is not canceled. It’s on hold because Governor Hochul announced that it didn’t have any affordable housing. It will, however, be rereleased with some changes sometime later this year.

4 Likes
1 Like

Quote:
Do you consider Angels Landing one of your most ambitious undertakings?

Yes, it will be our most ambitious undertaking to date… (Next is) Affirmation Tower in New York. That will be a $3.6 billion project and the tallest building in the Western hemisphere. That’s in the works. Angels Landing is much further along.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CdnSlUqMyu5/

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

[Donahue “Don” Peebles], one of the largest minority builders in New York, plans to resubmit a plan to develop the vacant site on 11th Avenue known as “Site K” when the Hochul-controlled Empire State Development solicits new bids some time after the election

I’m tired of the repetitive news coming from Peebles Corp. It’s the only thing that’s ever posted here.

“Rebid the site, we’re gonna build it, we’ll build it somewhere else, etc etc etc…”

Like go on and already build it somewhere else and stop saying the same thing over and over. I personally don’t like the design, who cares about height if the design is a spectacle, and not a good one at that.

I’m more interested in this, some actual NEW news.

Other developers — including Related Companies — also have expressed interest in developing the site, a source close to the bidding process said.

I just want to see the other original proposals, because I can imagine that they are much better looking.

3 Likes

I think the mods ought to remove the height from this thread’s title, since the Affirmation Tower was/is only one of the bids/potential designs for the site. Which was true even before the RFP got pulled. The way folks have been penciling it into their tallest project lists and mock-ups of the skyline is pretty silly — until a team gets awarded the site, Affirmation Tower is vaporware.

5 Likes

I wonder what’s taking their time to release them, since the bid deadline has already passed

2 Likes

@MarshallKnight truest thing I’ve seen posted in this thread in a long time! I also changed the height and floor count. :+1: As it stands right now the particular “Affirmation Tower” option is just that, a possible option for the proposal. And if another option is chosen it will have just been a vision rather than cancelled. But I still wouldn’t want to see it built anywhere else.

@NewYorkCity76 It’s probably because of all them got canned when the recent RFP was issued about the affordable housing commotion. Which I mean I’d still like to see them even if they are no longer feasible/an option anymore.

3 Likes

What a shame. I too would want to see them even if they don’t have the affordable housing option. Hopefully, sooner than later the other bids would come back, or else the “Affirmation Tower” option (I personally like the design) may be officially selected.

1 Like

Well just because Peebles has been the only developer to actually publicly release their design doesn’t mean that it’s more likely to be chosen than the other proposals (pre the RFP), that was just their decision, it’s obvious that they were trying to get publicity (like a stunt) to get more attention for it to be chosen more than the others.

1 Like

That’s true. Although NYC has a chance to make history if it does get selected since it is the first skyscraper designed by a majority-black team.

Now that you mention it, I have a feeling the other bids were more worthy and striking than the Affirmation Tower. I one time had thought that this may be another 270 Park situation where we wait for an official design to be revealed lol.

1 Like

It’s always quite possible that they were much more striking (in a good way) than Peebles’ (AT) bid.

I wouldn’t say it’s never been done before, but it’s extremely unusual (in cases like this where the state is proposing a development for a site) for the bidders to show their competition bids, almost always due to NDA’s. It’s seen with a great number of state owned sites (Penn Station improvements, PABT project, 5 WTC, this one (obv)), we never see the other bids sometimes years until after a bidder is chosen or even after the project is complete. That’s why I say it’s clear they released it as a publicity stunt to garner attention.

1 Like