NEW YORK | 350 Park Avenue | 1,600 FT | 70 FLOORS

Though not visible in my massing of it, the additions to the backside help to sort of “hide” the core, but it still mostly sticks out, the additions just aid in detracting from it just being completely visible from top to bottom as in the original iteration.

There is also an overhang or truss of some kind on the backside that I couldnt discern from the render.

1 Like

Do you believe that the “pop out sections” on the east facade are replicated on the west facade?

Also, what do you mean by an “overhang or truss of some kind on the backside,” and what leads you to believe that it’s there?

I’m trying to get a vision of the west facade. The only thing that we can clearly see is that the crown is different on the west side of the tower.

I don’t believe so, the overall building massing is the same as it’s predecessor, the core still sticks out on the west face, it’s just been slightly covered on the north and south sides. The pop outs are a result of the setbacks and stair stepping that exists on the east side, the west side is still completely vertical.

On the very top of the render/building, facing the west side/back there is some type of overhang grid structure above the tree that is not replicated on the east side.

Edit: It bothers me so much that other articles and IG posts/stories are now using and spreading the 51 floor and 7 terrace figures when it’s clear those figures are innacurate.

2 Likes

I agree. It looks like the first 15-20 floors are not depicted. I’m curious what they look like (e.g., is there a big base that takes up the whole site, or is the tower set back in a plaza like 270 Park)?

I wonder if this tower has to give public space amenities like 270 does.

Just for the sake of continuity, I just continued the volume form for the unseen portion of the base as it’s clear the building is following a pattern like the first iteration. The result left a large plaza (the very thin rectangle at the base of the massings represents the property line extents) like the first iteration but that one overhung the plaza (as do both plazas at 270 Park) where as this one is just completely open to the sky, a speculative interpretation ofcourse since I dont know what the base looks like.

1 Like

Thanks

From my 3d model:

18 Likes

Quick with it!

5 Likes

This is going to look amazing!

5 Likes

Just give the blank wall a light show, and I will like it. If a blank wall is in a design, they should give it a little razzle dazzle rather than being bare

3 Likes

I know it’s not quite 1-to-1 because it’s different structure, but I would love to see Foster embrace Richard Rodgers’ glass-enclosed cores, as seen in the Leadenhall Building:

James Newman via The RIBA Journal

9 Likes

I would also like to see this done, but that would entirely depends on how the elevator banks are positioned, whether perpendicular to the core face (like with Penn 15 and 425 Park Ave) or parallel with it (like with Leadenhall) and I suspect that they are perpendicular.

3 Likes

If the channels on the N-S facades aren’t elevator banks, do you think that they’re stairwells?

R Garri

2 Likes

Yes, that’s what I was getting at yesterday, but they could also just be interuptions in the facade and there could very well be normal office space behind them. They don’t actually project outwards from the rest of the facade, only the silver lining on them does, otherwise the part in between them is still flush with the rest of the façade.

3 Likes

8 Likes

This looks great. I can’t wait to see official renderings.

If this building is indeed setback so much from Park Ave, I don’t think I will like it as much as it will disrupt the clear street wall that is present on the entire west south bound side of Park Ave.

2 Likes

Speaking of being set back from the street, do you recall if the Midtown East Rezoning requires a developer to provide some public space? That seemed to be an issue with 270 Park as I recall, and JPMC is building that spectacular plaza on Madison.

It seems that Rudin also is providing some public space at 415 Madison.

1 Like

I don’t think it’s a requirement per se, but they get FAR incentives from creating public space.

1 Like

So presumably, to maximize FAR, this tower also provides that as well.

I think that all of the setbacks and indentations on this tower, along with the unique crown, look amazing.