NEW YORK | 300 East 41st Street | 208 FT | 21 FLOORS

Didn’t this design call for ugly mesh screens on the lower level like Macklowe’s 59th St building? If so, I hope that they’ve been VE’d out as the were on Harry’s building.

Nope they’re still there, the screen on the upper portion is already being installed. It wasn’t just the lower level, its the whole wide side of the upper volume and whole slim side of the lower volume portion.

It’s still planned like this

1 Like

They look hideous.

1 Like

It looks like scar tissue. Bleh

2 Likes

I was wondering what that mess is to the left in the second picture posted by AntonioL.

1 Like

Which raises the question: For why???

I think is a bad copy of this:

Which looks like a 1960’s nightmare -

1 Like

Facade has started

6 Likes

I wouldn’t particularly say its providing much shade to the 2 sides that it’s being put up on but considering it’s a Turkish based building, the architect was clearly trying to implement Islamic screen based architecture which is very geometric, the same as found on the Burj Doha image Alemel alluded to.

The same screen motif is also found on the base of the Turkish consulate building near the UN.

2 Likes

Yes, I don’t see this screen as having any real practical use, unlike the Doha tower this one it’s just decorative.

1 Like

6 Likes

Almost looked like they stopped work again?

4 Likes

Compared to your 2 recent updates it looks like they’ve just progressed on installation of the limestone , but I can’t discern any other changes.

I like the limestone façade, but it looks flimsy like 77 Greenwich St.

1 Like

Stone coverings are so thin these days -

2 Likes

I am surprised they are using limestone, especially if it is not real thick. I made the mistake of using limestone in my primary bathroom, too soft, it has cracked in several places.

1 Like

On the floor?

Both floor and walls, no paint except the ceiling, all limestone. When I had the roof reroofed they dropped the solar tube on the floor which took a big chunk out of the floor, all of the cracks are in the walls. Mostly where the corners meet. I also have several walls of granite in the house, kitchen and living room. Not one crack in those.

1 Like

Well limestone itself is a fragile rock, I believe the reason limestone is used so frequently and so thinly in facades (outside of it’s plentiful existence and durability) without having to replace it frequently is due to the way it is hung/attached to the facade and due to a coating that is put on it to prevent deterioration.

1 Like