NEW YORK | 3 Sutton Place (430 E 58th St) | 847 FT | 62 FLOORS

something something, try, try again.

850 footer, not bad. Rather have the supertall, but 850 will make a nice impact.

I think the new tower will be 700’. I can’t stand Foster and his crappy boxes. I’m elated that his tower won’t be built. Jansen, by contrast, usually does great work.

2 Likes

“We believe strongly that planners in 1961 never had buildings of 700, 800 or 900 feet in mind,” Mercurio told Patch. “It would have been science fiction in the engineering of the times.”

there are several baffling things about this statement

6 Likes
2 Likes

I’m very happy that Foster’s stick won’t rise.

His 1960s, 1,000’ box at 50 HY makes me nauseous. He really sucks.

Latest filing: http://a810-bisweb.nyc.gov/bisweb/JobsQueryByNumberServlet?requestid=2&passjobnumber=121191423&passdocnumber=01

Pre-Filed: 12/28/2016 Building Type: Other Estimated Total Cost: $0.00
Date Filed: 04/21/2017 Electronically Filed: Yes
Fee Structure: STANDARD
Review is requested under Building Code: 2014

[…]

13 Building Characteristics

Primary structural system: Masonry Concrete (CIP) Concrete (Precast) Wood
Steel (Structural) Steel (Cold-Formed) Steel (Encased in Concrete)

Proposed
Structural Occupancy Category: II - OTHER THAN I, III OR IV
Seismic Design Category: CATEGORY B
2014/2008 Code Designations?
Occupancy Classification: R-2 - RESIDENTIAL: APARTMENT HOUSES Yes No
Construction Classification: I-A: 3 HOUR PROTECTED - NON-COMBUST Yes No
Multiple Dwelling Classification: HAEA
Building Height (ft.): 844
Building Stories: 67
Dwelling Units: 389

2 Likes
1 Like

What an asinine statement. I guess they think that the Chrysler Building, GE Building and the ESB were built in the 90s.

also it’s 2017, not 1961. Over half a century later. What loons. This is the mindset of NIMBYs.

1 Like

Via cityrealty
https://www.instagram.com/p/BWNMGlihkgP/
A glimpse

5 Likes

This is now under construction

4 Likes

yesterday afternoon

9 Likes

it would have been better if the planning commission outright denied this corrupt rezoning, but while they approved it at least there’s a hilarious caveat:

http://www.crainsnewyork.com/article/20171115/REAL_ESTATE/171119933

Supported by elected officials, local residents had submitted a proposal to rezone 10 blocks of Sutton Place sidestreets to prevent tall, skinny towers. Ostensibly, the idea was to produce new buildings that more closely mirror existing stock without reducing the area’s density. The real goal, however, was to stop the condo project being built by Gamma Real Estate.

Though it approved the rezoning, the planning commission inserted a clause allowing buildings already underway to be grandfathered into the current rules.

“I do not believe that land-use applications should be wielded to stop individual developments,” said Kenneth Knuckles, vice chair of the commission. “New York City’s property owners have a reasonable expectation of predictability that we should take into account … I believe it to be important to include a grandfathering provision to ensure property owners are not left in the lurch with rules that change midstream.”

but of course:

Ben Kallos, the Upper East Side’s city council member, vowed to snip the newly created lifeline once the proposal lands on his desk.

“I disagree with the grandfathering clause, and I plan to remove it from this application and move forward,” he told Crain’s.

3 Likes

It seems they are still moving forward anyway? Looks like they are back up to street-level from tonight.

7 Likes

the Land Use Committee killed the grandfather clause in the rezoning, but this tower will move forward anyway because the foundation will be in progress before the rezoning is put into law.
Foolish NIMBYs

I updated the title with the new project name and DoB height info.

4 Likes

you know whats a good idea? putting construction workers out of work to delay the inevitable in a losing case! - NIMBY mindset after losing

I’m curious to see how this will pan out. This whole situation is an ungodly mess.

2 Likes