NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,389 FT | 70 FLOORS

Ok, here you have it, an asymmetrical beauty, not even a detail was valued engineered.

12 Likes

Could you share a render of the original design you’re referring to? Just curious

such a strawman :joy:
btw, don’t get triggered zes
my post was just my personal opinion

oh it’s out there and I’m sure one of these kids will do it
I just can’t be bothered to figure out how to post pictures on this site

I’m not triggered, I’m also sharing my personal opinion :upside_down_face:

6 Likes

Today’s progress:

270progress

Source

24 Likes

So I was right in this instance lol, they installed the intermediate facade beams first before the upper most ones. Still wondering about the CTU, 1 doesnt seem like nearly enough for a building this large, even though there are 3 packaged units in the overall single unit.

I also want to point out that a design change does not always equate to value engineering, one can’t just say every single change is due to value engineering, it makes no sense.

Related to that, there were never any official renders released of the asymmetric version, only stacking diagrams were ever published. All existing renders of the asymmetric version were “fan” made.

8 Likes

Lol, ‘value designed’ ok bro :+1:

Lots of ‘value designing’ going on to put a 1388’ building over top of hollow ground.

This building is beautiful and well designed. Thousands of people have poured their heart out designing and building this structure just to have it panned as ‘value designed’.

9 Likes

Value engineering is not any design change, why would it be cheaper to be symmetrical? They just changed their minds, and picked a different silhouette. That’s not even close to the definition of value engineering

8 Likes

I hope someone more knowledgeable can verify, but I imagine that the cost difference of building an asymmetrical vs symmetrical design is negligible, apart from the difference in amount of steel/fitout materials, which is not a given based on symmetry alone (either design could be larger or smaller).

In many cases, an asymmetrical design can very much be the cheaper option if it’s asymmetrical to suit the conditions of the site.

12 Likes

This is mostly true, it mainly/really depends on the project and as you’ve said, the difference wouldve been negligible (specifically for a company like JPMC)

The changes themselves are easily in the millions of dollars, but as I and bpc pointed out, a design change doesn’t automatically mean value engineering.

4 Likes

That’s a good point about the labour costs of the architects and engineers’s work involved in changing a design — all the more argument against calling this ‘value engineering’!

5 Likes

I always found the asymmetrical design overtly aggressive

6 Likes

So nice
Foster did it twice!

9 Likes

I really don’t care if this thing was “value engineered.” It’s a great building. Surely it will become an icon if it’s not already. And seeing it in person is awesome from near or far. The details are very finely wrought and the massing draws your eyes up just as any tall building should. It makes all the big glass boxes look bad by comparison.

9 Likes

Coincidental that we just get rid of 007 and then another troll comes out of the woods

11 Likes

Was pleasantly surprised to see it from Central Park

16 Likes

I agree the asymmetric design was far more ‘aesthetically pleasing’. The final result is still beautiful Architecture.

I do believe some sort of VE took place. In this case I think it was ‘time crunch’ VE - there is significant savings in time in fabrication of parts, and on-site construction by duplication of bespoke component parts.

The duplication of component parts is more significant that one may imagine: but I am only speculating.

The ‘cost’ is not an factor in this case of big money banking client: but meeting a ‘deadline’ to just get-it-done may have been the deciding factor for the VE decision. Which I believer it was… :pensive:

Still an ICONIC work of architecture… :heart_eyes:

1 Like

There’s no need for dull comments like this.

And that’s not an example of value engineering at all. What we first saw was a leaked design of an early iteration of the tower. The final design has been tested and has built for a reason. And lastly, the tower is looking just like the renderings of the official design

10 Likes

The asymmetrical version would have been nice.

1 Like