NEW YORK | 270 Park Ave | 1,389 FT | 70 FLOORS

I preferred the asymmetrical version as well but there’s zero reason to assume the symmetrical version was any cheaper to construct.

7 Likes

10 Likes

The asymmetric render is still fan made, the model however is accurate/from F+P, though the render didnt include the angled massing that exists today as the model did, its extremely inapparent, but it is there.

1 Like

Yeah I’m actually thinking of this one reported by YIMBY back in Nov 2019 that was even more dramatically asymmetrical:

I thought this had a lot more verticality than the version we wound up with, which looks “fatter” to me, even if it had the same square footage. This massing with the updated dark cladding would have been my dream but nevertheless I think the actual design will go down as a modern classic.

8 Likes

This building was most likely VE to speed time to completion: I would bet money on that guess.

The asymmetric design was so much nicer looking over all: the original design was somewhat compromised.

I would say Value Engineering is a good term to describe any change that compromises, or otherwise waters-down the aesthetic beauty of the final architectural design.

It was an unfortunate change: but I believe it did speed up time-to-completion and was something that may have been necessary to do as determined by those who have a final say on the matter.

Lets admit it - these buildings take far more time to complete that they used to; people in charge naturally want to see the job done in a more timely manner. The empire state building was completed in ONE year.

We need to do better…

It is still Architecture with a capital A… :star_struck:

2 Likes

They got a lot of steel installed. They’re almost there.

16 Likes

Taken this morning. There hasn’t been any movement on the crane today, perhaps a long President’s Day weekend?

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

Imgur

25 Likes

No flag?

1 Like

Probably not until the final beam is installed since this isn’t technically topped out like @TKDV suggested?

4 Likes

This is a sure possibility, but we dont know whether JPMC will have another top out ceremony like they did when the last occupiable floor was reached, which did include a flag and the tree, so it’s possible there wont be a flag, but it’s still up for speculation at this point.

That is simply not true, regardless if it’s an opinion or not, Value engineering is done solely based on monetary purposes with a defined gross budget. If I say I want a granite clad facade but then change my mind and want marble instead that is not VE, that is a design decision, changes to the design non related to cost are not value engineering. Making the building symmetric vs its asymmetric initial iteration has no precedent in being considered VE, it wouldnt have affected the construction timeframe anymore than the many unforeseen roadblocks that have occurred since this started to rise past streetlevel. JPMC has no lack of space for it’s current amount of employees, there would’ve been no need to build the tower faster because they want a quality tower.

12 Likes

Look who joined the party?
A bit old, but great pics anyway

FIELD CONDITION

20 Likes

Hopefully we see a pine tree! (Though its not Christmas time)

4 Likes

Shot these on Thursday morning.

t these on Thursday morning.

27 Likes

Never liked the (uninteresting) assymetrical variant. To me only this symmetrical variant is pleasing to the eye and an iconic addition to NYC’s skyline.

17 Likes

Sorry for the bad quality

23 Likes

she’s a beast!

2 Likes

absolutely agree. the symmetrical design just works for NYC. asymmetrical might work in Philadelphia or Texas. One Vanderbilt may be the only exception.

3 Likes

It’s not bad quality.

1 Like

20 Likes

What a tower!. Just give me 175 Park now at 1,575 feet. That’s almost 200 feet taller than this now and would make the skyline look insane.

6 Likes