NEW YORK | 262 Fifth Ave | 860 FT | 60 FLOORS

I am reading a few reports that these tall skinny buildings are “problematic”. All the claims made in this article about 432 Park are all factual and well verified by a variety of reputable sources.

Here is my speculation about the potential ‘wind sway’ problems with 262 Fifth Avenue: there will be no wind sway, the building will ‘give’ slightly under high winds - but the movement will be negligible. That is my wild speculation on the matter.

This building has that ‘offset’ mechanical spine that adds support and bracing: being made of reinforced concrete - it sure seems like major structural support to my layman’s imagination. Then there is the solid concrete walls (minus the tiny portholes) covering the East/West facades. I would also ‘imagine’ those two walls provide a real strong buffer against the shear/lateral wind forces.

This is one of my favorite towers going up in NYC currently: so I am hoping this new ‘pencil thin’ tower does not have the same wind sway issues that have plagued 432 Park.

4 Likes

To the right of the ESB.

Credit: GaryHershorn

18 Likes

Dang and now from that particular view, it blocks out the Chrysler building. Looks like it’s at roughly 600 feet now?

This building is a monstrosity.

3 Likes

This is my favorite image of this building: the lit crown mirrors the torch of liberty. In my opinion, this photo depicts two symbols of what makes America great - Liberty.

A bit of hyperbole here; by my sentiments on the matter are sincere.

13 Likes
6 Likes

22 Likes

22 Likes

This shot up really fast, must be over 500 feet now.

4 Likes

262 Fifth trying to standout. Far right.

Imagine how the smaller towers feel? Architectural eye overload.

Credit: Gary Hershorn

12 Likes

Dad to son: “Count the water towers in this picture and then we’ll talk about your request” :yum: :mag:

5 Likes

Today

17 Likes

This is amazing architecture: both the interior & exterior design.

Here is a look at some of the ‘interior design’ … :heart_eyes:

7 Likes

Gualini is the cladding manufacturer

14 Likes

12 Likes

The columns make this thing look like garbage. The cladding will help (looks very high end) but the overall product is bland and unworthy of this height.

9 Likes

I just noticed in the JC Heights photo the Lord&Taylor sign is still up.

Together with 270 in the background.

14 Likes

16 Likes

No cladding installed yet, right?