NEW YORK | 200 East 20th Street | 210 FT | 19 FLOORS

Glacier Global Partners is looking to construct a 19-story mixed-use building in Gramercy.

The developer filed plans for a 68,200-square-foot property with 52 apartments. There will be 2,700 square feet set aside as commercial space, and If approved as proposed, the building would stand at 210 feet tall.

The property, at 200 East 20th Street, is located at the corner of Third Avenue, just half a block away from Gramercy Park.

The plans indicate condos: the top three floors of the building have been earmarked for full-floor units. The rooftop will also be divided between a private space for the penthouse unit and a communal outdoor area. Amenities include a pet’s spa, a children’s room and a gym.
=======================

TRD

2 Likes

It would be nice if the developer acquired the filthy white tenement next door on Third.

1 Like

CetraRuddy is the AoR. Consider me excited whenever they’re involved. Hopefully they’ll be retained as design architects.

2 Likes
3 Likes

I love effective plumbing (ie., getting rid of sh…it)!

1200-200-east-20th-street-650x405

1 Like

2 Likes
1 Like
2 Likes

10 Likes

9 Likes

Photos by Michael Young

12 Likes

I walked by this a few weeks ago without knowing which development it was, from the cladding though, this one is going to be a nice addition. Actual curved glass instead of multiple flat panels rounding a corner is always a nice sight to see.

Though I will say that it is incredibly transparent.

3 Likes

The corner window is seamless (or mullion-less) so to provide an unobstructed panoramic view from the corner apartments: now that is special. Most of those large corner windows need to be done in a series of flat/strait sections as a cost savings measure; the added cost for curved glass must be astronomical or we would see it more often. I can not think of many new buildings that have taken this expensive option to a corner window; but it look very luxurious from the outside, and makes for great viewing from the inside.

This looks fantastic: the corner windows alone make for a stand-out work of Architecture.

The only other building I can think of with this detail is in Noho, on Mercer Street.
https://40bleecker.com/#home-second

1 Like

One & Two Manhattan West, The Pendry, Nordstrom podium glazing at Central Park Tower, Aalto 57, 7 Bryant Park, 520 W 28th St, 50 West St, 111 Murray St, ARO, One 57th St, 512 22nd st

^ are all examples of buildings in the city that have rounded corners or have curved glass elements.

2 Likes

Good list. This is one wins my ‘best-in-class’ award when it comes to curvy corner glass windows.

On a side note. I think this firm is still in practice, but the architect died unexpectedly.

I found this bit of news while looking for photos of the building: “Zaha Hadid, the architect, had a heart attack while being treated for bronchitis”.

They quit making rounded glass for a while about 50 years ago. I’m glad they picked it back up.

I am glad they did…
The challenge it presents in choosing window blinds is obviously one big downside to a curved corner window. A series of smaller flat windows will accomodate standard shade/blinds more effectively. A curved curtain track mounted on the ceiling works well enough; but ‘curtains’ are not a popular look with modernist interiors being most common decorating style in NYC. I find curtains are specified more often when the interiors are a done in a traditional design style.

The architecture is important; but people choose a new condo based on the apartment ‘interior’ : much more so than the quality of the Architectural design of the building.

7 Likes

11 Likes

This one is nearing completion.

Those curvy corner windows look great: that detail alone make this a work of ‘stand-out’ Architecture.

The metal panels along the floor plate edges look pretty good too; looks like they may be made of sheet metal with an enamel paint coating, all with a pearlized sheen finish.

Very nice look.

Capital “A” Architecture… :star_struck:

10 Likes