NEW YORK | 100 Franklin St | FT | 8 FLOORS

137 franklin is another one that comes to mind. Just a small development on an awkward plot of land that looks great.

I think the city should show developers that good (contextual) design will make it through the approval process hassle free.

The fact that 100 Franklin started off as glass then turned to brick is dumb. They could have just saved themselves the hassle and designed to the neighborhood from the start.

IMO.

https://streeteasy.com/building/137-franklin-street-new_york

9 Likes

Gorgeous! It’s like it was always there. I need to look up these floorplans lol

Credit: FC

6 Likes

Tribeca is really beautiful.

2 Likes

It’s so calm. I love it.

Stunning building!

1 Like

The site is one of the oddest I’ve ever seen. It has a very, very narrow neck between two fairly small trapezoids where the buildings have risen. Something was made out of nothing. It’s a sign of how even very odd plots are now drawing development. It’s been fascinating to watch this one come out of a very tight sight.

4 Likes

Today

5 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/B89tFz8phjh/?igshid=n2egx3m2t5v1

9 Likes

Tectonic

Source

11 Likes

This building is a work of art; particularly the brickwork. Take a look at the very corner narrow edge of the wedge - it is a shower stall.

Source - Streeteasy/Douglas Elliman

6 Likes

Whoa. I totally missed the street-level facade before. That’s pretty wild. I love it.

2 Likes

sexy :mask:

2 Likes

Today. Still finishing up the entrance.

12 Likes
5 Likes

This building is beautiful. The brick work is amazing. I just don’t understand the connectors between the two buildings. I guess they are supposed to give continuity or a sense of cohesion of the two buildings. They just don’t look like they will last, they look fragile.

4 Likes

The intricate brick work is beautiful; this building I would describe as being Gaudi-esque. Anton Gaudi has many buildings in Spain that have this same Artful quirkiness that exudes charm and beauty.

Those ‘fragile’ joining braces, and all those small hollow openings perforating the brick are key elements to achieving that ‘quirky’ architectural appeal.

I sometimes get the impression that doing RE development in NYC the sad truth is - “doing quality, does not pay” . The added time, effort and artistry and talent it takes to deliver this result is considerable; but it seems the appreciation and general recognition from the public is meager.

I give a lot of credit to this developer, it’s like - ‘maybe quality does not pay, but we are going to do quality ANYWAY’. I hope in this case quality does pay, and this development is well rewarded for doing truly ‘artful’ Architecture.

3 Likes

Infoshare. I agree. My office is nearby and I watched it go up until the virus arrived. It’s an intricately planned two building structure with the beautiful connecting “bridges” on an impossible site. Digging the foundation took forever because of the need to go deep to support the building next door on a very narrow site. The expense was not only for the wonderful design but also for the hidden costs as well. The developer does indeed deserve to make some money on this one.

1 Like