MOUNT VERNON | Development News

thousands of units are in various stages of development in Westchester. Many of them are in Mount Vernon.

1 Like

Q West Towers (7-11 MacQuesten Parkway)

Multifamily Investment Finds Long-Ignored City of Mount Vernon

42 Broad Street West

525 and 645 MacQuesten Pkwy

22 S West Street

Library Square (20 S Second Ave)

3 Likes

Thanks for holding down the urban Westchester beat YIM! Lots of change soon to come to Mt Vernon & Yonkers. Keep it up!

2 Likes

Real Estate Weekly: New era for Mount Vernon

The total amounts to over 900 residential units, some with street-level retail, from well-respected developers including the Alexander Group/Bluestone, Direct Investment Development, Enclave Equities and Simone Development Companies.
[…]
Recently, the Mount Vernon Industrial Development Authority (IDA) together with the city Buildings Department succeeded in clearing up a three-year backlog of 450 formerly stalled building permits and reducing the wait for a permit from 136 days to 15 days.
Mount Vernon’s new streamlined zoning code enables commercial developers in certain zones to even receive permits in less than 45 days.

3 Likes

I wish for the best when it comes to Mount Vernon. I know things haven’t always been so hot there so hopefully they will be fortunate enough to join other cities like Yonkers, New Rochelle, and so on when it comes to new, beneficial development. I find it interesting how they will provide a permit within 45 days, which is way less than New Rochelle’s 90 day permit solution. Sounds like an interesting way to attract more developers.

2 Likes

Yeah, I am rooting for Mount Vernon most of all the Westchester cities. They actually have the best development policies among all the larger Westchester cities–the best transit-oriented zoning and a good process to expedite permits. The big problem is all the chaos where the mayor, city council, and board of education are all at each other’s throats. The school district is suing the city for passing a transit-oriented zoning ordinance, for God’s sake! And the mayor vetoed that same ordinance because he hates the council and wanted to spite them (they overrode the veto). None of this inspires confidence in developers, probably.

But the location is too good, and the zoning is now perfect for dense, transit-oriented urban development. So it’s inevitable.

2 Likes

The internal conflicts for sure are a major problem, as well as a distraction. I’ve never seen anything like it before, honestly. Many cities in Southern Westchester are prime for great development just due to their location, Mount Vernon especially.

2 Likes

demolition is underway at the site of 42 Broad Street W

recently a controversial tax deal was made for a new affordable project, The Pointe.

4 Likes

16 East Broad Street | 6 floors | 44 units

135 North high Street | 6 floors | 24 units

224 Gramatan Avenue | 8 floors | 53 units

542-546 Locust Street | ? floors | 45 units

3 Likes

is Mount Vernon the next Westchester city to boom?

The developer of a tower under construction in Fleetwood is asking city officials to allow higher residential complexes downtown.

The Alexander Development Group wants the City Council to change the zoning for several properties near the Mount Vernon East Station so that high-rises up to 30 stories could be built on parcels that are greater than one acre in size and within 750 feet of the station.

“The proposed amendments to the zoning code are consistent with, and will advance, the objectives of the city to encourage appropriate development in transit-oriented locations,” wrote the developers’ attorney John Kirkpatrick in his application to the City Council. "In addition, the project will generate real property tax revenue in excess of municipal service costs, thereby contributing to the fiscal well-being of the city.

The partnership has identified five sites consisting of various parcels that would potentially qualify for residential towers if the zoning change were adopted.

One of the sites consists of two parcels at 11 and 30 Park Ave. Two seven-story apartment buildings currently sit at 11 and 30 Park Ave.

Another site consists of four lots that contain two detached homes and two four-story apartment buildings on an area bounded by Elm, Glen, E. Prospect and Rich avenues.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Mount Vernon is the Westchester community I’d like to see thrive the most. It’s got the most urban and walkable layout of any Westchester city…it’s really just an extension of the Bronx, even moreso than Yonkers.

Its basketcase governance seems to be holding it back, which is too bad

Also too bad they abandoned the end of the Dyre Ave line that would’ve extended through downtown Mount Vernon. If those stations had been kept open as subway stops, I’m sure Mt Vernon would be booming. They didn’t include it in the subway because it was outside of NYC city limits. NYC can be such a provincial city sometimes…

4 Likes

Mt. Vernon is largely a horrific, crime-filled ghetto, but the Fleetwood area, which borders Bronxville, is very nice. It would be good to see its downtown developed and revived.

1 Like

Most of NYC was considered a “horrific crime-filled ghetto” at some point. Even then, some people gave it a chance and took a bet on it. Change is possible with good leadership and policies.

4 Likes

Mt. V, like many rundown, broken suburbs, is not NYC. Therefore, it’s not as easy to gentrify. That being said, I hope that it does. NR, WP, Port Chester, Stamford, and New Brunswick have all had great success.

2 Likes
3 Likes

115 S. MacQuesten Parkway

4 Likes

505 Gramatan Avenue

https://westfaironline.com/140949/eight-story-senior-living-building-proposed-for-mount-vernon/

3 Likes