MINEOLA, NY | 199 2nd St | FT | 9 FLOORS

Lalezarian Eyes Second St. For Housing

Written by Rich Forestano
Thursday, 25 September 2014

New Hyde Park-based Lalezarian Developers is coordinating plans to build a 296-unit apartment complex, with retail space and a restaurant, near the Mineola Long Island Rail Road Station at 199 Second St., Village of Mineola officials announced. Citibank currently occupies the space.

If built, the rental building would be Lalezarian’s second Mineola development, along with the 315-unit dwelling currently rising on Old Country Road.

Mayor Scott Strauss said he has seen preliminary plans of Frank and Kevin Lalezarian, and that they are being updated.

“I think we need to hear what they have to say,” Strauss said. “But from the proposal that I saw, it looks like a great project.”

According to Strauss, the proposed plans showcase a horseshoe-shaped building with the rear facing the railroad tracks. The site could also house retail shops and a restaurant.

According to village officials, Lalezarian would build a 100-foot wide by 200-foot deep village green in the center of the complex.

“Part of the development of downtown revitalization is to have a park area near there,” Strauss said. “This would help us do that. I think it would be a boost to that area.”

Strauss said he feels the complex, if approved, would help businesses north of the railroad tracks.

“All the businesses would take off and do better than they are now,” Strauss said. “You’re going to have people living right there and being able to shop at the local businesses.”

The board of trustees recently adopted a resolution at the suggestion of Village Attorney John Spellman to act as lead agency on a environmental review of the proposed project. He anticipated Lalezarian would submit an application in time for a village board hearing on the apartment complex in November.

“In order to begin an environmental review of the project, we needed the resolution for the board to declare its intent to act as lead agency in the review,” Spellman said.

1 Like

under construction as of last year

Google Streetview

4 Likes

Mineola is kind of a dump, but Garden City next door is beautiful.

photo from “The LIRR Today”

3 Likes