JERSEY CITY | 417 Communipaw Ave | 216 FT | 18 FLOORS

UPDATE: This project has changed since the original post below. It now is 420 apartments, in a 216-foot, 18-story building. The site plan below has also changed. See this post for new details:

JERSEY CITY | 417 Communipaw Ave | 216 FT | 18 FLOORS - #7 by apophenic

This land is currently a brownfield adjacent to Berry Lane Park, in a very low-rise and industrial section of the city. It was previously the home of a Steel Technologies Corp steel plant.

The city had planned to acquire this site to expand Berry Lane Park. But it seems they never came up with the money.

Now a developer has proposed a 210-foot, 20-story tower on the site, with up to 375 apartment units. An existing Steel Technologies foundry building would be repurposed into a multi-level parking garage. A rec center would also be built on site, as well as the possibility of a 14,000 sq ft grocery store along Communipaw Ave.

5% of units would be designated as affordable housing.

This one would need a zoning change from the City Council to happen, so it’s very preliminary.

Here is the link to the proposed zoning amendment:
Berry Lane North - Morris Canal Amendment Text 20200526.pdf - Google Drive

4 Likes

I completely agree with you there. This area is becoming way more dense and new development in the area deserve urban planning in the same mindset. The rec center is a nice touch, but I’d still rather see an extension of the park than new housing (especially when only 5% is affordable). Or perhaps a tower with the rec center included in the base and expanded park space.

2 Likes

Yea, this one seems out of place. The whole site plan is very suburban. In addition (not that it personally bothers me) - the proposed tower is more than double any other building, both proposed and built, in the area - and I doubt it’s really going to look the part. I wouldn’t mind a more urban plan here, or at least an extension of the park with towers on both sides rather than a parking garage and a tower in the grass.

A note - the parking garage is not in a re-purposed building. The only repurposed building is the small office (Building 4) on Communipaw Ave.

5 Likes

httpf://jerseydigs.com/steel-tech-redevelopment-jersey-city/

10 Likes

Architectural drawings and site plan below. Now 18 floors and 216 ft instead of 17 floors.

https://data.jerseycitynj.gov/api/datasets/1.0/p22-146-417-communipaw-ave-sp/attachments/5_arch_drawings_mhs_12_20_22_rev_1_ss_pdf/

8 Likes

some more images from the site plan application.

8 Likes