HOUSTON | LOW-RISE / GENERAL Development News + Construction

5 Likes
2 Likes

Greyhound station is moving to the east side of town, meaning a prime spot will open for redevelopment right on Main Street, on the border of downtown and midtown.

Latest article I could find on this:

This bus station will close later this week, according to Greyhound’s website.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/houston-greyhound-texas-18524240.php

ABC 13’s Lileana Pearson reported Thursday morning that Mayor Sylvester Turner had less than 24 hours’ notice ahead of the station’s planned move. “I knew they were looking at closing or selling, but in terms of their location, that’s new,” Turner said, adding “I found out about it this morning, so I’m following up on that.”

Maybe the mayor should look at YIMBY forums! I posted about the Greyhound station’s move three days before it happened.

Whenever the Greyhound stop moves, folks start being concerned about crime at the new locations. This was the case in Columbus OH, and it’s also the case in Houston.

Some Midtown residents were happy to see the station leave.

“Everyone is pretty excited about it,” Clinton Turner said. “There is a lot of crime in that area. There is some homelessness loitering and crime and there is a lot of damage.”
. . .
East End residents want one thing from the city.

“As a resident of the East End, I’m hoping that the next step is that the City does something to make sure that the East End bus station does not become the same eye sore and full of crime that the Midtown bus station had,” Dani Hernandez said.

The Greyhound property in Midtown still hasn’t been sold, but it should be an attractive location for redevelopment as it is far away from the new potentially crime-plagued East End coach depot.

The property, built in 1979, is currently valued at more than $7 million, and is still listed for sale on LoopNet, an online marketplace for commercial real estate.

It was time for the dilapidated, old Greyhound bus station to move, Jeff Peden, an executive managing director for Transwestern, said earlier this year.

“Whatever that time period is, I think that McDonald’s closing, I think that Greyhound closing, and hopefully construction being underway for the rerouting of I-45, if all that occurs, I think it could be a great lift for the entire area,” he said.