BOSTON | South Station Tower | 677 FT | 51 FLOORS

Hines and Chinese-based Gemdale Properties are looking to start construction of a mixed used tower on top of Boston’s South Station in 2017. It sounds like it will be built over the currently open-air train platforms. In association with this tower, they will expand the bus terminal as well. This should be quite interesting!

4 Likes

This is a fantastic example of taking something good and making it even better. Great building!

1 Like

Definitely an improvement. Here was the older rendering. (the one before Hines updated the development site)

Credit: South Station - Hines

(you won’t see it on the hines site though. It was one I had saved on file)

7 Likes

This is a VERY nice project.

Is it actually happening ?

2 Likes

I believe it’s seeking financing. Fortunately, a tower like this isn’t seeing the massive NIMBY backlash given Boston is a fortress for those types. Hines mentioned 2017, so we could see this moving along sometime next year.

1 Like

Thanks, Chris.

I hope that this is built.

To me, Boston is the most beautiful American city by far and one of the most beautiful in the world.

1 Like

I saw that this was approved.

Hines has a Chinese investor and will start on a spec basis.

2 Likes

Was in town this weekend and took some shots. Can’t wait to see how this project turns out!

In true robertwalpole fashion, here are a few bonus shots of the beautiful Bostonian architecture

8 Likes

I love Boston!

2 Likes

Is this proceeding?

1 Like

7 Likes

they are starting to put up the deck over the tracks.
The tower will go on top of the deck.

photos from Arch Boston user “Boston02124”:

8 Likes

Great to see this moving forward! Is this Boston’s tallest project? Also, how will it stand when completed? Certainly it will be in the top five for height, right?

This is the second-tallest tower under construction in Boston. Winthrop Square Tower is slightly taller at 691 feet.

When completed, Winthrop Square Tower will become 4th tallest in the city. South Station Tower will be 6th tallest. In between will be Millennium Tower at 684 feet.

Here’s a good photo, from January 26, 2021, showing the steelwork that will be used to deck over the tracks. It’s from Arch Boston forum user “bren924”:

According to the MBTA website, a 370-foot crane will be installed this upcoming weekend.

8 Likes
6 Likes

photo from Arch Boston forum user “bren924”

5 Likes

photo from Arch Boston forum user BeeLine

https://archboston.com/community/threads/south-station-tower-south-station-air-rights-downtown.976/post-396353

Boston South Station platforms will start to look like those of NY Penn Station.

9 Likes

I love this tower, but this is definitely the downside to it-the station platforms are now going to be covered, and it’s really gonna make the station not feel as nice, unlike Union Station DC, which is the same kind of format being a train shed on the end of the NEC, but those platforms are not covered.

But the ceilings are about 12-15 feet high so it will be much less claustrophobic than NY Penn Station, plus it will be much warmer in the winter. And the vaulted ceiling between the station and the tracks will be stunning.

4 Likes

Some photos by HelloBostonHi on ArchBoston give you an idea of the ceiling height. Use the people for reference. South Station Tower | South Station Air Rights | Downtown | Page 134 | archBOSTON

5 Likes