Highrise/skyscraper Development Lists - All U.S. Cities Applicable

Once all these supertalls are finished, a 2000 footer would be the perfect focal point for the skyline.

If only…

It would, especially in midtown manhattan. I feel like we need a new “empire state building” . Something to dominate the skyline

Exactly! Need something to tower over the rest, just like the ESB did for over 40 years and technically 80 years if you just look at midtown.

However it’s reign is coming to an end.

1 Like

Well I look at it this way. Back when 700 feet was the norm, developers needed to build supertalls to stand out.
Now that supertalls and eventually 1,400 footers are the norm, It will only be a matter of time before a megatall is proposed.
As for how long we have to wait… I dont know.
Although I would think we will have to wait until all the aforementioned towers are completed.

1 Like

Exactly! Having luxury units at 1000-1400 feet won’t be as unique anymore. There will be some people who want to live even higher to have the bragging rights of saying, my unit is 1800 feet up!

Not only that, but with the arrival of 30 HY, there will now be what, four observation decks in NYC?

30 Rock
ESB
30 HY
1 WTC
and Possibly 1 Vanderbilt???

However, these will all sit around the same height, give or take 100 feet. Could you imagine the money maker an observation deck at 2000 feet would be? Or even 1800 feet? Something that they could really brag about! Forget the rest, we’re the best! Look down on EVERY building in NYC. I can see it now!

1 Like

Thank god, there were the days when the only observatory was on the ESB after 9/11 and b4 the reopening of top of the rock. At least now there is more variety. But a 1800 feet observatory in midtown would be stunning

This is The City, lads!

2 Likes

A public service announcement. The new census results will be posted on the Census database mid night, so in 1.5 hours after this post. Curious to see what the city population is. I’m hoping its close to 8.6 million.

Cough cough, possible article idea for the site, cough cough… :wink:

1 Like

The time is here!

Bronx 1,455,444
Brooklyn 2,636,735
Manhattan 1,644,518
Staten Island 474,558
Queens 2,339,150

8,550,405 :blush:

4 Likes

What a massive city.
You know what it needs more of???..
SKYSCRAPERS!!!

2 Likes

Yeah, baby!

1 Like

This is extremely exciting!

I wonder how many years until we hit 9 million?!

8.491 in 2014
8.550 in 2015
8.625 in 2016
8.700 in 2017
8.780 in 2018
8.850 in 2019
8.910 in 2020
8.980 in 2021
9+ million in 2022?

Just guesses! But if the affordable housing plan comes together maybe it will grow even faster. Also, as more and more people keep coming, it will create the means for even more people to come! So maybe it will only be five years?

4 Likes

Wow! Staggering.

That figure is very likely to me.

I still kinda think its way higher then 8.550. Usually the illegal population is uncounted. What I’m curious to see is a daytime population study in 2016. There was one done in 2012, but a lot changed in 4 years.

It’s staggering, but even these figures are misleading in my opinion. I think that if you want to do a fair evaluation of the population of NYC, despite the controversy you should count jersey city etc. So many people from Jersey work in NYC, shop in NYC do almost everything in NYC. It would be weird in my opinion if we wouldn’t count them in the “real population” of NYC. Also it is just phisically so close to New York City! I know you can’t count them in the official population but if feel that technically the population of New York would be around 12 million. I wasn’t very clear but i hope you understood me hahaha. What do you think?

I tried an exercise a couple of months to try to get an approximation. But just for sake of argument, based on the figures for NJ in 2015, if we just add Essex at 797,434, Hudson at 634,266, NYC at 8,550,405, and Bergan at 905,116; we get 10,887,221 residents. Just adding those counties which are intensly urban and somewhat small in size. The minute you ride down I-78, past hillside nj, and see the port and open expanse with the WTC in the distance, you are entering an 11 million + region. I could add other couties close to the 5 boroughs, but just for an idea.

Although I know that the figure is under counted. NYC just in the 5 boroughs should be higher.

If we add Westchester, where essentially at 12 million and approximately 1140 sq miles.

I appreciate what you guys are saying. I guess the population though is strictly based off of having an address in the five boroughs- even if you actually spend more time in the city than at home.

With that said, 8.550 million people is no joke. Consider this; the next 3 most populated cities in the United States are listed below with their most recent population estimates. NYC is only 300,000 people shy of those cities combined!!!

Los Angeles Population: 3,929,000
Chicago Population: 2,722,000
Houston Population: 2,196,000
Total of next 3 most populated cities in the US: 8,847,000

If you count Nassau county is almost an extension of Queens 1.4 million people.
Suffolk county is 1.6 million.

to me what makes NYC population number so impressive is not the 8.5 million. You can find plenty of cities more than that. Its the sheer density of the population. The way look at it is NYC as a whole is “downtown” for the entire region. Long Island, Jersey, heck even parts of Connecticut. NYC has no “sprawl” its almost all city.