Emporis is folding

Per wwmiv:

Sep 13, 2022

In an email shortly after noon Denver time today:

Quote:

"Dear Emporis Community Member,

I am writing to let you know that we have made the decision to retire the Emporis community platform. This change will take effect on Tuesday 13th September 2022. Following the retirement you will no longer be able to access Emporis.

This decision was not made lightly. For more than twenty years, Emporis (and its predecessor site) has served as a platform for community members to share data, information and of course, great imagery of some of the tallest buildings and skyscrapers across the globe. I would like to thank you for your contributions over the years.

CoStar Group acquired Emporis in November 2020, recognising the truly global nature of the data in Emporis, and since the acquisition we have integrated much of that data into the global CoStar information platform for the benefit of our client base of brokers, owners, and lenders.

We know that many Emporis members share our passion for real estate – some of them as data enthusiasts; some as photographers; some as individuals who loved researching new cities and all of whom enjoyed contributing to an expanding real estate database.

CoStar is one of the largest commercial real estate information and analytics platform in the world and we are always seeking to hire new, talented individuals to help expand the platform into new markets and continue researching existing ones. If you are interested in any of our available roles within the Research group, please visit our careers website by clicking on the following link: https://www.costargroup.com/careers

In the meantime, should you have any questions or feedback, please contact our team at Emporis@CoStarGroup.com.

Once again, thank you for your contributions over the years and we wish you the best.

Matthew Green CoStar Europe, Managing Director"

Basically, Emporis is dead.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t even say dead, it doesn’t exist anymore. I never relied on Emporis a lot simply because the information was inaccurate at times. And though it’s database was larger than the CTBUH’s (and even their statistics are now somewhat limited to viewable only by members) it was more accurate for the buildings that it had. Still a loss though, seemed very out of the blue.

2 Likes

I still used Emporis more than CTBUH because Emporis usually had the building’s architect listed, whereas CTBUH hides that info for non-members.Whenever I saw an interesting high-rise I was unfamiliar with I’d go to Emporis to see who designed it. For many of the more obscure buildings I was curious about, Emporis was the only place on the internet that had the designer, height, and construction dates listed. I also liked how you could see all the buildings designed by a specific architecture firm ordered by height. RIP.

2 Likes

I still have an emporis picture open in a browser tab that I’m too lazy to close, and it’s weirdly sad that if I refresh I’ll never be able to open it again and I’ll just get the ‘retired’ page

1 Like

What about viewing on the wayback machine?

I knew it finally redirects costar.com

1 Like