Discussion | Construction, Design and Architecture Style of Skyscraper

I have these drawings in a book as well, as I posted the same page recently

So under few drawings, it gives short descriptions of the drawings you see. “(P. 43) curtain wall details: gable of the top of the tower”. Number 8 is the gable detail @ vertical wall intersection, this is showing the gladding when it goes from the angled faces to the flat vertical faces on the crown of the tower. 7 says gable detail, showing the glass and metal mullion design. 6 says ridge detail, where two gabled meet to make a point. 9 says valley detail, where the gabled meet at lower elevations. Section 4 is not labled, but shows a cutaway of the glass gable on top as it includes the tube mullions and mirrored light beams for the decorative lighting. Section 3 is also a cut away of the gables, but the first set of gables that include the stone cladding. Section 2 is an elevation showing how the glass, stone, and metal meet the steel structure of the crown, while section 1 shows the facade connecting to the floors clad with stone.

3 Likes

In buildings like Chicago’s WIllis Tower, modern skyscraper construction methods involve a steel skeleton structure to distribute weight across the vertical beams that support the whole . These beams are riveted end-to-end to form vertical columns, which are connected to horizontal girder beams.

2 Likes

Following are a few pictures around drawings from this book:

I just don’t know if the information is still current since the World Wide Place was built in the late 1980s.

4 Likes

Overall construction methods are generally still the same, but some stuff has changed.

2 Likes

Very Interesting, can someone explain that to me?

1 Like

Explaon what to you?

how the building would have been built? it had no core.

structure

Buildings don’t need a core to be built. But just because one is not visible doesn’t mean it wouldn’t have had one.

That elevation is highlighting the slabs and outrigger systems in the Travelstead Tower. You actually can see the core in the diagram, and is slims up at the top, but I assume the core is missing at the bottome for massive open space?

This isn’t really an elevation more than it is a section, but it’s also not a full section drawing. It’s more of a schematic diagram than either of the two. The core bracing is only shown on the top 1/4 of the drawing, what is seen below that is not the core, its the exterior bracing scheme and what is seen on the bottom 1/4 of the drawing doesn’t show the core nor vertical supports and probably is just showing the distribution of floors at the base. The diagram is showing multiple things in one drawing (also the outline and form hard lines), it is not a continuous drawing as one would normally see.

3 Likes

How fast are skyscrapers built today compared to the Chanin Building?

Construction time for the finished for the 56-story office building (90000 tons of steel) only 205 days.

3 Likes

Slower due to all the laws lol.

2 Likes

So at what rate is 270 Park Ave. being built compared to this?

Well comparatively with 270 Park Avenues 2.5 million sqft vs the Chanin Buildings 800K sqft and based on their timelines, 270 is going about 2x’s slower.

what types of foundations are there?

what foundation will 175 Park Ave. get?

Theres a lot of different types of foundations, it just depends on soil conditions, weight of building, and depth to bedrock.

175 Park ave will surely get pile foundations like many other NY skyscrapers.

2 Likes

In the area of the Mega columns?

1 Like

Yes, and those other areas where the columns reach bedrock.

3 Likes

can you explain that to me in more detail?

there is no pilling plan? or?