COLUMBIA FALLS, ME | Flagpole of Freedom Park | 1461 FT | FLOORS

Yes that’s what I meant. It is quite a bit taller than the Strat

1 Like

There’s a reason why the world’s tallest flagpoles are usually in tin pot dictator countries.

4 Likes

Because those countries have money and pride?

The last photo appears to be from North Korea. Do they have money or just pride?

1 Like

Apparently enough money to construct that, not that it would take a lot.

1 Like

IMO this project is just a waste of money and attention. How does a giant flag pole in the middle of the woods benefit anyone? It’s a cop out project that evokes nationalist pride rather than solving any real problems. That’s probably why some dictator regimes do it, as Colrain pointed out.

4 Likes

I guess? But who cares though. It’s their money, as long It’s approved It’s fine. Unless it’s receiving some subsides, I don’t remeber if it did or not though.

Would like to see something similar in a big city though.

1 Like

I know whenever I go to some unspoiled woods in the North Country or the Green Mountains I keep asking myself where are the giant flagpoles and flags?

3 Likes

I mean yes, I’m glad they’re not using taxpayer money for this, but this has a starting price of $1 billion, which will likely increase as the project continues. According to their website the purpose is to “heal a divided America” and to “honor veterans.”

1. How does an expensive flag pole heal a divided nation?
  2. I think veterans would prefer if you used $1 billion dollars to provide them with free healthcare, education, and housing.

Idk, maybe some veterans are gonna live in the flag pole?

2 Likes

I guess I just don’t understand the relevance of this location. Feels like it would make more sense at Fort McHenry or somewhere else of historical importance.

2 Likes

If I was the town council, I’d approve it just based on the large direct investment it is. Even if it fails this is a massive amount of money to be plugged in, and as long as the town isn’t the entity paying for maintenance, it’s only a gain.

1 Like

That’s your opinion and you have the right to have it. But to answer your question, a lot of people care about a jingoistic gesture spoiling nature for a 20-mile radius. People go to the woods and live in towns in those areas to get away from gigantic structures, and to enjoy the sense of calm and regeneration that comes with being surrounded by nature. It’s the result of hundreds of millions of years of evolution. There are many scientific studies that come to that conclusion with lots of data to back it up.

Build the flagpole if it makes him/her feel more patriotic or whatever, but do it in East Brunswick, New Jersey or someplace like that, not the pristine woods of Maine.

4 Likes

Surprised there’s so much discussion on this.

It won’t get built. The End. Regardless of permits, the money does not exist, and if it did, not a single shovel will hit the ground. Projects like these are never built.

As an aside, I agree that this would be an eyesore for the surrounding natural environment if for some reason it was built.

4 Likes

There isn’t that much. There’s 35 responses, not a lot.

Source for any of that? Like at all?

How so exactly?

2 Likes

There is monument to Crazy Horse that keeps milking people for “donations”

They never make any progress, just blow some dynamite up every once in a while. They family that owns it has been milking people for money for decades.

2 Likes

4 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes