COLUMBIA FALLS, ME | Flagpole of Freedom Park | 1461 FT | FLOORS

4 Likes

Well you don’t see a proposal like this everyday

3 Likes

is the 1 billion dollars for the whole park or just the observation tower I wonder

Something tells me its the park

*now seeking taxpayer money to fund it.

Boondoggle of boondoggles.

It’s an April Fools’ joke right?

4 Likes

I hate April Fool’s Day.

1 Like

What a boondoggle.

I thought this was an April Fools joke?

Nope, apparently

Well I mean that’s cool then. Seems if the only problem is permits then this should be fine.

Frankly I’m kinda surprised that there aren’t giant flagpoles in the big cities like NYC, LA, Chicago, Dallas, etc

Ugh. What an eyesore. Just what rural Maine needs… a giant FU pole to Canada and everyone trying to get out and enjoy unspoiled nature. :frowning:

1 Like

Columbia Falls is a great name for a place that’s exploiting American jingoism for profit.

2 Likes

3 Likes

The Flagpole is not just a pole, it’s a building with two Observation Decks and multiple floors of museum, convention, theater and retail spaces

^I found this part interesting. If built I believe this will be not only the tallest Flagpole in the world, but the tallest tower in the United States

1 Like

There’s already a place called Flagpole View Cabins. (BARF!)

Tallest tower in the US?

The article tries to spin it as 1,776ft tall by pointing out it’s built on top of a 315ft hill. But ground level elevation doesn’t count towards a building’s height, otherwise every single-family home in Denver would be “taller” than buildings like 1WTC

1 Like

Yes I realize that. As far as I know 1,461 ft is still the tallest tower in the US.

Oh my bad. I was thinking 1WTC’s roof height was also 1,461 but you’re right, it’s shorter at 1,368.

Outside of height, I believe mcart is using tower in the sense of it’s distinction between a tower and a building, One WTC is the tallest “building” in the US, this would be the tallest “tower” in the US, surpassing the Stratosphere Tower in Las Vegas.

The term towers is applied to structures like observation towers (CN Tower, Tokyo Sky Tree) because buildings have to be 50% occupiable.

3 Likes