CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Dr | 875 + 765 FT | FLOORS

A couple hundred feet cut from the taller tower. No longer a supertall

3 Likes

Less imposing and the facade looks value engineered too

2 Likes

This should have been iconic. Chicago deserves better. Also lol @ SSP:

6 Likes

I caused that mess lol.

I just mentioned how Chicago developers tend to not have the brass unlike developers in Miami and NYC. Which they don’t. They are very conservative with their risk management. Other devs (miami metro, nyc metro come to mind) will look at the long term optics, and use capital expenses to think towards the future even if it means taking an acute loss, but one who will be recouped in the years coming. Chicago tends to shoot themselves in the foot sometimes.

I get conservatism with risk, but they seem to be by the book with it.

At least somebody thanked me (see the edit). :beers: They deleted what I wrote, the 2nd paragraph.

I’ve been out most of the day, but from what I gather, must of caused a fuss.

But hey, when speaking the truth, it will cause a ruckus among those so disappointing to begin with.

3 Likes

https://www.chicagoarchitecture.org/2020/03/14/new-renderings-info-for-lakefront-skyscraper-duo/

7 Likes
4 Likes

From my 3D model of Chicago.

8 Likes

These towers were previously world-class no doubt, now they are simply mediocre. The aluminum accents offer little contrast with the glass. The terra-cotta would have sharply defined the contours and given these buildings a bold visual impact in all lighting conditions, from a distance and all angles. Even the renders and the video model illustrate how these towers won’t be distinct from most angles and distances anymore as the details just blend with the glass making it once again the main visual element.

These were a masterpiece from Daviid Childs, now the proportions are less dramatic and pronounced, the distinctive crown has been removed and of course the height is now only at a fraction above One Bennett Park. Rather than becoming the soaring icons of Streeterville, these will now only fall-in. This is a huge missed opportunity for the city to move in the direction of reclaiming it’s architectual relevancy, let alone superiority. That river gateway with Vista and the original proposal would have been absolutely stunning. This project and Wolf Point should have produced nothing less than iconic super-talls given their locations and the money that was invested.

5 Likes

„Previous reports state that construction is slated to break ground in 2021 with an expected completion in 2023. It is unclear whether this timeline is still accurate, considering the phased approach of construction, but the recent city approval may allow the project to move forward as previously reported. No permits have been filed or issued for the development.“

2 Likes

I read about a timeline that stated construction would take 3.5 years for the north tower. Upon the completion of construction there will be a year long traffic study to measure impact and resolve any issues if present before construction on the south tower could begin. 2028 would be delivery of the second tower.

Related is never in a hurry to build anything. I wouldn’t be shocked if construction was pushed back a couple more years if it ever starts.

3 Likes

It would be nice if you would both build at the same time. Not that in the end there is just one of them.

1 Like

„ Having already been approved by the city, Related is planning to break ground on the north tower towards the end of 2022 with an anticipated completion date in 2024, as announced on the updated project website. The construction efforts will utilize the land for DuSable Park for staging, the timeline fits into the previously announced schedule for the park with plans to begin work in 2024 and open in 2025.“

6 Likes
2 Likes

Orginal on SSP: SkyscraperPage Forum - View Single Post - CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS

3 Likes

It really is a shame that both towers won’t be built simultaneously. But it seems the second lot has the potential to get built… Did not think they would ever start on either of these though so :+1:

2 Likes
1 Like
1 Like

I mean I’m glad Chicago is getting some new skyscrapers, especially apartment towers but on the other hand the vision of this site was so much more.

2 Likes

Photo by Jack Crawford

2 Likes