Brutalism + Beauty = BEAUTALISM

I’m not a fan of Le Corbusier, but this man (who is inspired by him) adds elements of beauty to Brutalism.

3 Likes

I would argue that the vast majority of Tadao Ando’s work is not considered Brutalist Architecture and shouldn’t be considered that just because he uses concrete. Concrete itself is not what necessarily defines Brutalist architecture, its the forms, massing, and expression of the material that defines it, but also the time period because Brutalism was a movement, and while brutalist styled buildings are still built today, I wouldn’t classify most modern concrete based builds as being brutalist.

Le Corbusier was indeed a major player in the Brutalist movement with other buildings eventually taking inspiration from his Unité d’Habitation de Marseille, but he also partook in the International style. Tadao Ando also took inspiration from Louis Kahn, who, while also having many concrete based buildings that were influenced by thw brutalist movement, did not necessarily design them in the brutalist style.

7 Likes

Le Corbusier all the way.

4 Likes

I hate Brutalism. Here’s an article.

2 Likes

Almost all the brutalist buildings used on college campuses and for similar institutional purposes (for example: Pace in NYC, the NYPD building by the Brooklyn Bridge) are ugly as sin. It’s hard to identify a Brutalist building that isn’t ugly. These institutions should do everyone a favour and remove those heinous eyesores and replace them with more thoughtful and attractive edifices.

3 Likes

With each passing year the likelihood of these brutalist piles coming down decreases.

3 Likes