Bob's New York development Map

bump for new members to check out.

1 Like

This topic is pinned to the categories section for NY. Just make sure the pin needle is facing down and it should stay up.

Sorry guys, have dropped the ball a little, I am really busy with exams right now so I haven’t been that active on the forum. Once I’m done I should be back in business :wink:

1 Like

keeps coming un-pinned for me.

Hi everyone! Sorry I have not been very active lately, wether it be on the forum, or in making progress on the map. I have been in exam periods and as you can imagine everything becomes very hectic. Fortunately it is over an I can come back to really trying to contribute to the forum. One of the aspects of this contribution is of course this map.
First of all I am very proud to announce that the map has been viewed over 2400 times! Thank you all for this and I hope it will lead more and more people to the forum.
Secondly I have a question to ask. There is a new feature in the website which allows me to be able to directly put the image of the building on the map, instead of the different pins of different colours. It is an interesting functionality as it allows you to be able to directly see what the building looks like. However with this functionality we lose the ability of being able to differentiate buildings thanks to the pins of different colours, and when we activate more than one category we won’t be able to know which is under construction or proposed and which is taller than the other.
Tell me what you all think is the best option! Perhaps we can use the functionality for a certain category? If so, which one? Finally it would mean the world to me if some of you guys could quickly run through it and check if there have been any changes that I should put on.
There are bound to be some changes in the status of buildings, the height or the construction phase. I would love for the map to be the most up to date possible. If you have any more suggestions please don’t hesitate and thank you for everything!!

Great news. BTW I advertised this map on Linkedin for you a couple of weeks ago. Wanted the real estate folks to see your work. :wink:

In any case, its a great reference tool. So many tower u/c! :smile:

Amazing map!! I don’t see the Queen Plaza South apartments on the map in LIC

Bumping this.

If you haven’t checked out bobs development map… do so!!! :blush:

3 Likes

Hello Lads! It’s been a while.
I had been quite busy in the summer months but I have spent quite a few hours working on this map since the last update. I have now added more than 170 extra projects to the map. Bringing the total tally at around 350 projects in total on the map. The 2016 development cycle filter is filling up nicely as well and I plan to keep adding especially to that one. It gives you a nice idea of what got done in 2016.
I am at over 200 projects under construction, crazy to see it all on the map. One category that is just BURSTING is the under 500 feet construction category. Do you think it would be better to divide that one? tell me what you think.
Also I would like to thank everyone for bringing the map to over 6000 views!!! I find that insane! It makes you realize the amount of traction this website is starting to get.
This map is also officially the most complete of all skyscraper and architecture forums! It has approx 50 projects more than the skyscraperpage map which is also horribly out of date. I will keep working on adding projects but mostly focus on keeping this map up to date. Tell me what you guys think about it!
Cheers!

2 Likes

Good to have you back on here and updating this. I used it a good amount earlier last year when you created it. But I find myself using it more wnd more lately while on the street to find new projects. Keep up the great work! It doesnt matter to me if you separate the under 500 category btw. Up to you.

Cheers,

Thanks JC. I myself live an ocean away from NY so I can’t post updates on projects no matter how much I’d love to. The least I can do is provide you new yorkers with the tools necessary to post the most updates on the most projects possible!

1 Like

I absolutely love the map. I think greater than 100 meters is the official definition of a high-rise, right? So maybe a new category of anything between, 100m (~330ft) and 150m (500ft) would be cool. That way we will be able to easily count up the number of highrises going up in the city. Anyway, thanks a million for this invaluable resource :smiley:

1 Like

Depends on the classification, but the CTBUH classifies high rise as 100 ft or greater. With that, NYC has over 6500+. Add the proxy cities, and we are over 7000. I believe 500 ft + or 150m is a skyscraper, and anything from 100ft to 499 is a high rise.

But the category might depend on who are you are asking. Some South American Countries use a different system vs Asian countries. On a municipality or city prefecture system.

3 Likes

Is this the most up to date version of this map? Can it be added to by us? I know of many projects that are happenings east of LIC throughout Sunnyside and Jackson Heights, it would be helpful for my research to have this info here. Thanks!

1 Like

Hi @alexyy9 I am the one who created and manages the map. I prefer to be the only one as it would get out of hand. I am constantly working on this map to make it as up to date as possible for it to be the best tool this forum could have and I will be glad if you could help me a little. List all the projects which you would want to be added as such.
E.G 432 park avenue / 1397 feet / 85 floors / under construction / NEW YORK | 432 Park Ave | 1,397 FT | 85 FLOORS - #475 by Vertical_Gotham
so that its: address/ height / floors / construction status / forum link

Just post your list here and I will add it asap!
Thanks for your help and your involvement!

3 Likes

Took screenshot of LIC dev map. Each blib is a development in LIC. Lots going on!!!

1 Like

High Res. Zoom in. For Jersey City.

Credit: http://data.jerseycitynj.gov/dataset/a38a6854-7e8a-4594-8e94-817765f8f185/resource/7609b95b-5f7e-4be1-8067-ce23671eee55/download/downtown-developments-journal-square-developments-and-bergen-lafayette-developments-7.6.17.pdf

5 Likes

UPDATE!
As usual, I haven’t been the best at keeping this map updated.
My bad
It is very time consuming.
However these last few days I have properly spent about 6-7 hours
moving projects from proposed to U/C
U/C to completed and adjusting heights etc etc
I have also added many buildings that weren’t on the map.
This Brings me to the grand total of about 250 buildings U/C on the map
about 150 buildings proposed and around 50 completed buildings.
This means there are just about 450 different markers with links to the forum on this map.
Wowzers! Be sure to check it out!
I will again to try and keep this up to date and keep adding more.
I truly hope that this will keep helping everyone and still remain a valuable asset to the Forum.
I finally want to thank all of you for your support as the map has reached over TEN THOUSAND views.
Crazy.
Never thought it would reach that but I am so happy and grateful that you guys are using it!
Cheers! and see you around!
:beers:
:+1:

5 Likes

Hey everyone! New Update!
Around 50 extra pins!
I hope everyone is finding the map still to be helpful.
I am thinking of starting a new project.
Every week or so releasing a top 10 list of projects that haven’t had an update in a while. I will rank them by combing project scale and time since last update.
I wish I could be taking the pictures myself but unfortunately I dont live there so I would like to make your lives easier and tell you which ones might need updates. Some amazing projects often don’t get enough attention!
Tell me what you think!

3 Likes