Bob's New York development Map

For Broadway shows be sure to go to TKTS at time square and get a discount. Well worth the wait. You can get up to 60%-70% discounts on tickets

trip is a go! Boss is cool with the extra few days tacked on to the back end of my trip.

Just finished adding forum links to all the projects and render pics when they were available. Check it out and tell me what you think! The advantage of having the links is that this is a Yimby centric map, and by promoting it on other sites we can direct more people to join the forum.
I will now continue adding projects and when I reach my next milestone of 200 projects I will shoot another message.
It would mean the world to me if you guys could go through and check for mistakes, whilst i was adding forum links I found 2 or 3. I want it to be as professional as possible. Cheers!

1 Like

I’ll start proofreading it. I might be heading into the city in a bit to meet with a friend, but I’ll do it in steps, and update you on feedback or notes later on. :wink:

Great! thanks man! cheers!

Quick question. What happens when they are finished. Like 432 Park for example is close to being complete. Is there a completed section?

I was going to ask you guys that question. What would you prefer? A completed section ( In which we would only include projects that were recently completed) or for me to remove them? Or, we could do a mix of both. A completed section in which buildings could only stay for a max of 6 months or something like that. What do you think?

Maybe a complete section for the boom cycle, so like 2016 onward. But I think this could work:

( In which we would only include projects that were recently completed)

I think that is the best. I won’t add any buildings completed in the first few months of 2016 but from now on when something is complete I will put in a specific section. What I could do as well is create a 2016 section a 2017 section etc It would help us see which years were more active in completions.

I think 45 Broad should be added to the proposals for 1000+ ft. Its a solid proposal. Something like the Penn Station Tower is a vision, but 45 Broad is expected to start u/c in Fall of 2016.

Likewise for Hunters Point Phase 2 in which clearing of the land is occurring and preliminary work.

The issue with 45 broad street and hunters point is that we still have no indications of height/floors etc. I established in the beginning that that would be a clear criterion for adding them into the proposal sections. Without that info I can’t confidently place them amongst a specific category nor can I place them amongst the buildings of the category in order of height as we don’t know the height. I feel like if we add them before we get all the data it could rapidly become very confusing. You see what I mean? Also 45 broad is in the visions section according to Yimby.

O I see. Okay that makes sense. Yeah works with me. Last thing we need is confusion lol.

Okay I’ll be back on later, but so far it looks good in terms of super talls and/or visions and the 750+ category . I’ll fact check a couple of the smaller projects. I believe Times Square Edition is u/c, but I’ll get back to you on that. I might pass by the area later on so I’ll check the status.

Perfect!

I would add the stuff for this wave of construction. So as archive we can go back an look at what this current dev cycle added. So, I guess you would start with One57. But that would be probably the last thing I would worry about I guess. I just want to be able to look at completed and see One WTC, 432 Park, One57, and other marquee projects.

Ok, one thing has been bothering me.

Do you think we could make the highest category 984feet+?

This is because they would be super tall. For instance MW 1 is 995 feet will be another supertall for city, also the Queens super tall that is proposed is right at 300m or 984 feet. Those might be the only towers that would be affected.

congratz. we now have the best depiction anywhere of developments.

this is all the 500+ U/C in pic 1. And with proposals added in pic 2.

Tis the age…

1 Like

It’s really amazing how much the development is focused in Midtown and Downtown.
The density there should continue increasing.
However, I would like to see some skyline fillers either between lower and mid, or around central park.

I think this boom we are seeing many new areas of Manhattan getting some vertical development. Obviously West midtown, then we have a 850 footer U/C by Manhattan bridge, and 3 more proposed 600+ footers in same area. Jenga tower is a nice move northward from Downtown, also the murray street dev, then we have the recently proposed Chinatown tower. Flatiron has gain some verticalness. Also the billionaires row has shifting the skyline northward quite a bit. Then obviously LIC, DT Brooklyn, and Jersey City are really filling in the harbor and east river nicely.

I think we are seeing a nice density creep south from Midtown and north from Downtown. The uncanny valley is shrinking.

Honestly I still think I prefer there being relatively low rises in between midtown and downtown. I love the effect of the two mountains of skyscrapers per say. It makes NY unique compared to other skyscraper cities like Hong Kong or Dubai.
Regarding the map, I reached 150 developments! hahah slowly but surely it is becoming more and more complete. The 500 under category is really starting to fill up, crazy how much development there is in that category. Also, By making the map I have been combing through threads leading me to find various mistakes hahaha.
I will keep adding more and more projects (it will never end haha).
Regarding the proposal by Tokila to make the tallest category fit in with the supertall category, I want to know what you guys prefer. I don’t really have any personal preference. Both have advantages and disadvantages IMO.
Regarding the completed section, if some of you could give me some projects that you think I should add please list them on the thread.
Finally I will do my best to keep this up to date but if you ever think I missed something like:
Height change
Start of construction
Completion of a building
Floor number change
project on hold
etc
please be sure to comment it on this thread.
Be sure to check it out again and tell me any comments or corrections you may have!
I’m glad this is taking shape lads, cheers!

2 Likes

This is true.
I think it is coming along very well and In a decade or so the lowrise/midrise section of manhattan will shrink tremendously.
The towers will still dominate the areas where they are needed, such as the big avenues, local landmarks and transportation hubs.
but we will see a much taller but still sloping mountain of skyscrapers in these areas.
Downtown will forever be a unforgivingly vertical neighborhood and midtown will continue to spread out, although with some big height interspersed throughout.

1 Like