The Philadelphia Skyline Photo Collection

Slightly off topic, but in curiosity did you use a smartphone to capture this or a camera? If it’s the latter, what camera settings did you use? I really want to capture shots similar to this since I’m really into photography :slight_smile:

f-stop is based on the proximity of the objects along with allowing light in. For me, by the time the sun is under the horizon I put my shutter around 1/10 and f-number at 6.5 or 8, and as night comes increase your shutter from 1 second to 5 seconds and so on. Long exposures are absolutely necessary for night shots if there isn’t enough light, and the sun trumps city lights. That’s why daytime shots are most of the time great looking.

This chart shows how many photos I have taken since my 16th birthday on August 5, 2017. I have taken a total of 76,823 as of 01/07/2023

Here is my first camera shot, of my Zvezda (now branded Revell) 1/2700 Imperial Star Destroyer kit displayed in my bedroom

And this is my first long exposure camera shot within the city on 08/08/2017, with the help of my fathers friend who got me into photography

Lastly, this is my first good long exposure shot of the skyline from New Jersey on 12/31/2017. I had a tripod, but it was a flimsy mess…so I plopped my camera on a nearby gazebo since I knew it would defy the chilly wind. What’s interesting is that I’ve been at this spot and gazebo even before photography and in my childhood, as my grandparents used to live two blocks away. Unfortunately the gazebo was demolished in the past summer, but my favorite photography spot still lives on

4 Likes

Nice, thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like

A skyscraper under construction in Philadelphia the photo could be around 1987.

Collection by Miss Mackensen

3 Likes

Do you have the full image? I know it has the model of One Liberty inserted into this photo, I’ve seen on an article.

And that is One Commerce Square, shot in 1986

1 Like

June 6, 1986
Based on the image above, it looks to be taken around a month or two after this article clipping

3 Likes

Thanks TK2000 for the very informative answer, I took a better picture.

2 Likes

Did you take a picture of the entire photo? I believe it includes City Hall and Liberty Place

Around 1978

Collection by Miss Mackensen

5 Likes

Philadelphia skyline from my roof by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

@bgrophoto on Instagram

3 Likes

More lights!! They are installing and testing new lights on Comcast Center! According to a maintenance worker, all of the sections including the top will light up with colors and animations! I just wonder if the Comcast Technology Center will join

5 Likes

The picture of the Delaware River Bridge was taken in November 1932 when the German cruiser Karlsruhe arrived in New York harbor.

3 Likes

a german cruiser in New York…

are there any photos of it

Philadelphia skyline by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr

3 Likes

Philadelphia 1876

I got these pictures from the official (original) guide from the World’s Fair 1876 in Philadelphia

3 Likes

The Eagles are going to the Super Bowl

4 Likes

The Comcast towers are green!!! Hopefully they light up the lantern of the second tower

IMG_20230208_191248 (1) by S L, on Flickr

IMG_20230208_191627 (1) by S L, on Flickr

IMG_20230208_192136 (1) by S L, on Flickr

@rising.realestate on Instagram

@elevated.angles on Instagram

The lightning is temporary on Comcast 2

4 Likes

BNY Mellon Center

3 Likes

From the movie „Rocky V“ Rocky V - Wikipedia

3 Likes

You can see Mellon Bank Center under construction with the facade work nearly finished and the scaffolding on top City Hall is coming down

2 Likes