Philadelphia | The Josephine (1620 Sansom Street) | 320 ft | 27 floors

Nashville Developer Southern Land is constructing a new 27 Floor residential tower at 1608 Sansom near Rittenhouse square. Plans call for 299 units and ground floor retail. Southern Land is also building the nearby Laurel residential tower, a 48 floor, 599 FT tower. This project will be replacing a parking garage. This is yet another new Skyscraper coming to his area, after The Laurel, The Harper, The Hyatt Centric, and the proposed 19 story overbuild above the Freeman’s auction house. This thread is for discussion of this project only.

9 Likes

Rendering At Street Level

7 Likes

Looks like it’ll reach 300 feet, I hope it doesn’t have a blank wall on the south face

3 Likes

I like the base. It looks elegant.

1 Like

Yeah, as long as there isn’t a blank wall on the other side like what @TK2000 said, then this tower is going to look very good when completed.

1 Like

The lot goes straight through from Sansom to Moravian. Since the south side of the lot fronts Moravian St (an alley), there’s no reason for it be blank.

2 Likes

This tower is only 95x190 (Google Maps estimates), I won’t be surprised if the core is hugging the south face. After all the rendering is only showing the north face, hopefully it’s a better execution than the south face of Hyatt Centric

2 Likes

Yeah, the south face of the Hyatt Centric is horrible, especially with the historic buildings right in front of it.

2 Likes

2 Likes

https://www.phila.gov/media/20200728142642/2020_0513-SLC-1620-SANSOM-CDR-Presentation_reduced.pdf

2 Likes

2 Likes

New Renderings For the tower

5 Likes
3 Likes

Southern Land closed in the property, so with that and the permits which I believe were issued, the project can now live forward. Estimated to be finished in 2023, so we should see a groundbreaking by Spring at the latest

2 Likes

https://www.bizjournals.com/philadelphia/news/2021/01/21/southern-land-closes-on-rittenhouse-square-parcel.html

"Southern Land Co. has closed on buying 1620 Sansom St. in the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood of Philadelphia for $24.5 million, clearing the way for the real estate company’s next project.

Nashville, Tennessee-based Southern Land has approvals for a proposed $200 million, 28-story tower on the site that will have 308 apartments, 32,000 square feet of commercial space and a parking garage. Demolition of the garage is expected this spring with construction to begin by the fall, said Brian Emmons of Southern Land. The development’s completion is projected for 2023."

2 Likes
3 Likes

6 Likes

Philadelphia skyline by Philly SkyGuy, on Flickr
The tower crane is seen in this shot just to the left of The Drake

2 Likes

Starting to rise…

2 Likes

This has a name now, SOMI 1620

4 Likes