NEW YORK | Various News About Our City and Q&A

7 Likes

First case of coronavirus confirmed in Manhattan

The first case of coronavirus in New York City was confirmed on Sunday to be a woman in her late 30s who recently traveled to Iran, a state official said.

Governor Cuomo released a statement on Sunday night announcing the first case in the state. A source told The Post that the woman lives in Manhattan.

“The patient, a woman in her late thirties, contracted the virus while traveling abroad in Iran, and is currently isolated in her home,” Cuomo said in the statement.

Despite the state’s first case of the deadly virus, Cuomo insisted, “There is no cause for surprise — this was expected.”

“As I said from the beginning, it was a matter of when, not if there would be a positive case of novel coronavirus in New York.”

As of late Sunday, there were 76 confirmed cases of coronavirus, known as COVID-19, across the US

========================

https://nypost.com/2020/03/01/first-case-of-coronavirus-confirmed-in-manhattan/

1 Like

Idk how serious this really is, but I feel like in a few months we won’t hear anything about it. Like the Ebola outbreak in 2014

2 Likes

It more serious than Ebola or the SARS outbreak of 2003 due to a few cases in which you don’t need to show any symptoms to infect other people. We can except more cases to appear in NY and around the country since more testing kits for the virus have been made available, but the likelihood of you dying is low if you don’t have a precondition. Just need to make sure to wash your hands and to keep a good distance from people who are sick.

The economic effect could be more damaging in the long run since whole areas are locked down and people stay inside instead of shopping at their local stores or travel to other parts of the world.

5 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: NEW YORK | LOW-RISE / GENERAL Development News + Construction

A post was merged into an existing topic: NEW YORK | LOW-RISE / GENERAL Development News + Construction

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Germany just made a statement that they expect up to 70% of Germans could get the virus. Much higher than what people were previously lead to believe.

1 Like

with the WHO escalating the outbreak to a pandemic, I expect more extreme measures to be enacted to combat spread, by both private and public entities. The NBA just suspended its season, for example.

1 Like

The situation with the testing kits has made containing the virus harder. The number of cases in NY and around the country could be much higher than currently reported.

“ The CDC has been called to task for its in-house coronavirus tests that initially delivered inconclusive results. Health experts also criticized the agency’s guidance that appeared to limit testing to only the highest-risk patients.

These blunders almost certainly set U.S. preparedness back weeks, delaying the identification of additional cases that might have slowed the spread of the disease.”

“ The U.S. response is in stark contrast to other countries, such as South Korea, that successfully ramped up their own testing, thus getting a more accurate picture of the extent of infections.

“Sending out faulty tests is unforgivable,” said David Ho, a leading AIDS researcher based at Columbia University. “There was so much time to prepare.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloomberg.com/amp/news/articles/2020-03-12/cdc-takes-heat-on-capitol-hill-over-coronavirus-testing-kits

2 Likes
1 Like

-State of Emergency in the city
-State has banned gatherings >500 people
-Broadway shows suspended until April
-MLS and NHL suspended

2 Likes

I had tickets for a show tomorrow…but relieved that they are taking these precautions! Stay safe everyone!

1 Like

Current status. Its going to be interesting what further steps NYC will take.

1 Like

It will be interesting to see, given the rapid shutdowns of many institutions, whether this will extend into the construction industry. I’d hate to see construction halt on the towers around here.

2 Likes

Worrying about construction is the least of our concerns right now.

We’ve got to attack this virus and minimize the carnage. People are more important than buildings.

Personally I think they should stop everything right now.

7 Likes

Coronavirus Updates: De Blasio Declares State Of Emergency In NYC

Mayor Bill de Blasio has declared a state of emergency, acknowledging that the COVID-19 pandemic could affect New Yorkers for as long as six months and require a long recovery period.

The declaration gives the mayor an extensive list of powers, including the ability to impose a curfew, stop public transportation, cancel elective procedures at hospitals, create or designate medical shelters, limit maximum building occupancy, and ration supplies.

“We have to fully understand that this is the shape of things to come,” he said in his most sobering press conference to date on the spread of coronavirus. “It feels like the world turned upside down in just the course of a few hours.”

There are now 95 confirmed cases in the city, an alarming spike of 42 since yesterday.

The mayor said he expected the city could have 1,000 cases by next week. He said 20 percent could require hospitalization.

“We’re getting into a situation where the only analogy is war,” he said.

In the first breakdown by borough, the mayor said that as of 12 p.m., there were 25 cases in Manhattan, 24 in Brooklyn, 17 in Queens, 10 in Bronx and 5 in Staten Island. Due to a lag in updated information, the numbers do not reflect the latest total.

=====================

https://gothamist.com/news/coronavirus-nyc-covid19-restrictions

1 Like

Stop social interaction until we get this testing debacle under control. Nobody has any clue how bad infections are. We literally are preparing for the worst because we just don’t know. America’s leadership dramatically screwed this up when you compare what other countries did to prepare.

4 Likes

Traffic is very, very light today.

I can tell you that its never like this, even on Saturday, past 12 pm. If you zoom in closer, even in Manhattan, light traffic overall.

7 Likes

I drove from Briarwood, Queens to Union Square (via Williamsburg Bridge) in 20 minutes. Couldn’t believe it.

3 Likes