NEW YORK | The Greenwich (125 Greenwich St) | 912 FT | 72 FLOORS

That little concrete “backbone” that lines the back of the tower is appalling. Hopefully they clad it over with some glass, whenever construction resumes.

I’m probably the only one here, but I like the stark contrast between the smooth rounded edge glass and the harsh concrete.

4 Likes

I’d rather the concrete be clad in something such as metal. The bare concrete won’t age well and will get gross as time progresses. That concrete does not look good at all even in its current state.

Here’s a picture I took of the site a few weeks ago.

2 Likes

The real problem with this building is they didn’t get enough presales to continue construction which made financing impossible. People bet too much on luxury financial district demand and this is a poster child.

2 Likes

I like the work of Arthur Erickson; so that raw concrete look for me is more ‘artful’ than ugly. I agree with your point in the sense that this type of architecture may be too esoteric: most people will not like it, and will not ‘get it’ as a distinct Architectural Style. When some member of the general public does not ‘get it’ and views this building, the response is puzzlement as to why the facade was not “finished” . That meaning “finished” as in ‘completed’ or “finished” as in applying a coat of paint or decorative surface treatment of some type. So, the end result is ‘most’ people will either not ‘get it’ or ‘like it’.

My point being: Architects need to avoid ‘esoteric’ design features that will not ultimately be a ‘crowd pleaser’… :star_struck:

This post contains a video that features much of Erickson’s work. I hope this building gets some more public admiration; as I find this one to be Architecture with a capital ‘A’. Always good to hear opposing opinions on the aesthetics of Architectural Design.

1 Like

Has anyone heard anything about this? In the past couple weeks the hoists are becoming very active on this site but no visible changes to the exterior so far. Is construction back on?

1 Like

I imagine they need a new loan to start things back up again. The latest news was outside parties were looking to rescue the developers by taking a share in the project, but I don’t think it was announced if anyone came on board. I believe Silverstein inquired.

1 Like

Maybe the developers think they are close to a deal. It seems like preparatory work/cleanup going on on site. Still plenty of room for this to go sideways though

Fortress acquired the debt back in March 2020 as bankruptcy proceedings were still being hashed out. The Silverstein deal didn’t come to fruition. I’ve also noticed some prep work back on site over the past few weeks—lift going up/down, etc. Thinking this one will spring to life soon.

5 Likes

125 Greenwich is back in the game: Supertall condo lands financing
Northwind provides $313M loan; Fortress comes aboard

A stalled supertall condo project at 125 Greenwich Street, one of the most hotly anticipated skyscrapers until it was mired in financing complications, is ready for its comeback.

Bizzi & Partners and Fortress Investment Group secured a $313 million loan from Northwind Group, The Real Deal has learned, to resume construction at 125 Greenwich Street after threats of foreclosure and partnership disputes delayed the 88-story tower for years.

Northwind’s loan replaces an existing one issued by Fortress, which will convert its debt into equity and become the property’s new majority investor. Fortress will also add additional money into the project, according to a source familiar with the matter, and will replace former partners Howard Lorber’s New Valley and Chinese private equity firm Cindat.

The building, designed by Rafael Viñoly, is 85 percent complete. In addition to its rounded corners and units with floor-to-ceiling windows, the project is unique in that it plans to use the top three floors for luxury amenities rather than penthouses. Douglas Elliman is leading sales and marketing.

With financing in place and a partner with deep pockets, Bizzi hopes to rebrand the project and relaunch sales this year. It would be a comeback a decade in the making.

The condo tower was meant to be Lower Manhattan’s answer to Harry Macklowe and CIM Group’s Viñoly-designed 432 Park Avenue in Midtown, which was completed in 2015.

Instead, it came to symbolize many of the issues facing the city’s then-oversaturated condo market.

=============

9 Likes

this is the news we’ve been waiting for. Get that shit done.

4 Likes

Oh my fucking god LETS GOOO! I’ve been waiting to see this one complete and lit up. Only if 45 Park Place and the troubled One Seaport could follow

3 Likes

This is excellent news. I suspect 45 park Place will be next. One seaport tho, that one is a tricky one.

I’ll keep an eye on this one. I walk by every day.
In the last month, I’ve seen the elevators more active than years before.

1 Like

This may have been mentioned before but I wonder if 5 World Trade Center is going to largely block views of this tower from most angles.

the curved facade of this tower affords it great views despite the concrete on the north and south faces.

1 Like

Hopefully, this one restarting construction provides incentives for all the other stalled projects in the financial district to eventually resume.

111 Washington and 75 Nassau especially

1 Like

45 Park needs to resume as well. Been stalled for a while.

3 Likes

45 Broad St also, probably the most beautiful of those stalled.

3 Likes