NEW YORK | The Brooklyn Tower (9 DeKalb Ave) | 1,073 FT | 74 FLOORS

Why those big setbacks?

The extra space was necessary to accomodate the drawbridge when it retracts.

5 Likes

19 Likes

I still kind of wish the crown terminated in more setbacks like the iteration before the final one did, it seems kind of stumpy how it ended up just because the top is still so wide.

9 Likes

I couldn’t agree more. Not sure why they didn’t follow through w/that. Either way, JDS has defaulted on the loan for this unfortunately

6 Likes

SAD :scream: :scream:

Not good news for the development of 247 Cherry Street, although not a death knell either.

1 Like

We are in the early days of another real estate collapse.

3 Likes

Stache, I am fearful that you are correct.

1 Like

Good point. No pun intended… :wink:

Looking at this former iteration; one can see the big difference. It does look more ‘stumpy’ for sure. The journey from concept-to-completion is full of compromises. This stumpy top was an unfortunate, but probably necessary, compromise.

When ever I hear the word ‘stumpy’ regarding an architectural disappointment: me thinks Hearst Tower. Very STUMPY Too. :crazy_face:

I have 37 Posts on this topic. Click on my infoshare tag above to see my other photos and comments in this thread.

5 Likes

some would say the crown was “value engineered” but you wouldn’t find them here on YIMBY forums :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The ‘Tower of Sauron’ was probably value-engineered too. The fictional tower also looks a bit “stumpy”. :rofl:

The Brooklyn Tower does have a ‘spirit twin’ - and I think it is the Tower of Sauron.

3 Likes

are you comparing NY developers to the Orcs of Mordor?? :wink:

3 Likes

Everything is ‘value engineered’ to you. Now I know you’re full of it. Lol

2 Likes

oh calm down madam,
get a sense of humor

1 Like

Such a gorgeous, gorgeous building. It can’t be said enough.

7 Likes

looks like lots of lights on tonight.

2 Likes

“a deeply malignant structure that cannot be truly possessed by anyone, much less meted out as “condos””

Haha

5 Likes

Wifi connected!
Imgur

3 Likes