NEW YORK | Penn Station Expansion/Improvements

Per NYguy:
From Amny
https://www.amny.com/transit/mta-tak…n-station/amp/

That’s using your head! MTA takes out ‘head knocker’ beams from Penn Station

BY Kevin Duggan
MARCH 8, 2022

Quote:

Knock, knock, knocking your head no more!

Construction workers started removing massive low-hanging steel beams known as “head knockers” from Penn Station’s 33rd Street concourse this week as part of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority’s $559 million renovation of the notoriously cramped corridor.

“Everyone who uses the Long Island Rail Road concourse knows them and hates them, because they prevent us from having any human-sized head height,” said MTA Chairperson and CEO Janno Lieber during a press conference inside a construction site in the station Tuesday. “These are the main culprit in making Penn feel so dungeon-like, among other culprits.”

Quote:

The 10-ton beams are original to the old Penn Station, but hang as low as 6 feet, making them a hazard for taller commuters rushing through the passageway between 7th and 8th avenues.

Their removal is part of a larger almost four-year revamp to widen and heighten the concourse, following the opening of a new entrance at its eastern end.

MTA had to first put in a new support structure for the streets and stadium above before removing the load-bearing beams, said the agency’s head of construction and development.

“We had to remove the previous structural roof and replace it with a secondary structure that supported not only the street, but also Madison Square Garden — all without shutting down 7th Avenue, and all by operating the busiest train station in North America,” remarked Jamie Torres-Springer. “This was a very complicated feat of engineering.”

There are seven head knockers total and the MTA took out the first one last week, the second one Tuesday, and will start lifting out the others this weekend, Torres-Springer said.

Quote:

Construction contractor Skanska is working to raise the ceilings to a uniform 18 feet and widen the walkway from 30 feet to almost double at 57 feet, along with new entrances, stairwells, and elevators to the tracks.

Developer Vornado will be in charge of the new retailers that will line the corridor and the renovation is slated to wrap in March 2023.

Its scope makes up about one fifth of Penn Station and Governor Kathy Hochul and the MTA plan to roll out a facelift for remainder of the maze-like transit hub.

“This is 20% of Penn Station, the other 80% can and will look like this, with these wide capacious corridors, with the room under the ceilings for people to feel comfortable, with the improved entrances,” said Torres-Springer.

Quote:

Hochul’s $6-7 billion proposal is to knock out one or two floors to create a light-filled train hall inside Penn Station along with 8 acres of new public space.

The governor relaunched a slightly scaled back — but still controversial — version of a Cuomo-era 10-tower mega-development around the station in November, which she said is needed to fund the project.

Good government groups have questioned that reasoning and sounded the alarm about a lack of transparency surrounding the deal, demanding more proof to show that the real estate deal is really needed.

MTAPhotos

2 Likes

Lipstick on a pig. When will people get it that piecemeal design always ends terribly!

2 Likes

Sadly, though MSG refuses to move, so this is better than nothing.

The city should tax the hell out of the Dolans.

1 Like

The MSG lease expires in a few years though I don’t know exactly when. They got a renewal a few years ago on a much shorter term than before in the hope they would take it as a signal to move. They now should be told by the city that another round is not in the offing. I agree with the general feeling here that the arena is badly designed, both inside and out.

2 Likes

Just looked it up. The lease expires in 2023!

1 Like

I remember that, but I was under the impression that it was just something that resulted in favorable tax treatment.

Don’t the Dolans own the building and the land? I don’t know exactly what the operating permit is exactly, but it’s my understanding that MSG can still “operate” on that site even when it expires.

P.S.: I just found this.

“….But Dolan shows no signs of budging and technically he doesn’t have to. Expiration of the current operating permit doesn’t mean he has to physically leave MSG, which he owns….”

Not sure about this. Call the lawyers. If the ground lease expires the building should not be able to be used and it should revert to the owners of the land. But that could be modified by the terms of the lease. I have no idea what the legal documents say. During the hoopla over the last lease renewal there was definitely city council chatter about granting only a short term renewal in order to convince the Dolans to get out. But that may have been only political chit chat rather than a solid shove. Anybody here know more about the lease?

1 Like

If it’s a ground lease, I agree. However, is that what it is? The articles are never clear.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CcGF4bYuMKy/

7 Likes

I love this plan.

2 Likes

Effective Monday, May 2, the station accessibility improvement project at New York - Penn Station will begin with partial closure to the entrance at 32nd Street and 7th Avenue, for approximately 18 months.

This project will add an elevator, widen the entrance, replace the stairs, and replace the two existing escalators with three transit grade escalators. Upon completion of the full project, this will be an accessible entrance to Penn Station.

During this partial closure there will be no “up” escalator. Passengers needing an “up” escalator may follow signage to the NJ Transit exit nearby.

https://www.amtrak.com/alert/ny-penn-station-accessibility-project.html

3 Likes
2 Likes
3 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeWnDSdJvc5/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CeBo8HUOadU/

6 Likes

Still the biggest architectural crime of the 20th century

1 Like

New plans today? It says during the morning so we should find out soon…

Also I just went to the gov site, the governor is doing a live webcast at 9:30 AM. Watch out for that. I’m watching it currently.

So uhh, the video disappeared after the live show was over and I only caught the very end of it.

3 Likes

Okay from what I’m getting from Crawford, the main takeaway is they’re going to be selecting a winning firm for the Penn redesign by late summer/early fall.

Excited to see all the submissions. Hopefully, we see a more neoclassical design, though idk about that…

Proposals are due by June 28

4 Likes

Exciting! Thanks for monitoring for updates. Highly unlikely anyone will pitch something neoclassical (IMO). I wonder if any of the Rebuild Penn folks could weigh in on the feasibility of reconstructing the MM&W main waiting room sandwiched in between 2 Penn and MSG. Feels to me like that’s the only remote possibility of ever seeing part of the original station reconstructed in our lifetime.

Any which way, grand old hall or modern light-filled new one, if it’s there in the next decade, I’ll mark either as a win.

4 Likes