What a dysfunction
This is Vornado’s MO. They let the Alexander’s site on Lex sit empty for years until Bloomberg anchored the tower. They razed beautiful buildings on 57th, and we’ve had an empty for years. This will be an empty lot for a very long time. They should make it a park until they have a tenant.
Great article. Roth was quoted as it being a future “parking lot,” although the context isn’t clear. He may have meant temporarily until a final decision is made.
I’m not a die-hard preservationist, but if Manhattan Mall wasn’t also razed I feel like there would be some injustice on this block. The mall has been closed since 2020 (although there is office space above).
This block combined into a single site could host an enormous building…
*edit: die-hard
that would be site 6 and site 8
I didn’t realize the mall had closed. Thanks for that.
If they made it a copper/bronze color like 270 Park it would look much nicer
Shocking! They want to show that “blank wall” now
Hideous.
Awful. I’ve seen better looking Penn15’s in my gym locker room.
This has no chance of being built, so it’s not worth worrying about.
I have a feeling you’re right, Robert. Don’t want to jinx it though
its pretty damn ugly as designed.
I think there is a general slow down overall, one, the risk is up there, and the tight lending situation at the moment along with uncertainty (fear driven) when it comes to the economy, so I do agree with @robertwalpole on this.
NOT THAT this won’t be built or that something won’t rise here (along with other parcels in the various boroughs) but we likely will not see some of these projects kick up like they did in the past. Not the massive flurry. I think we will have to wait on some parcels.
And we can kind of see this slow down with other projects or in general what’s coming in the pipeline. There isn’t this feverish bonanza of projects like during the 2015-2019 era. Much of what we are seeing rise is still the tail end of the last boom. Not that stuff isn’t rising or starting up but its not what it was let’s say that.
Hopefully it will be a different outlook in 2024.
What we do know is that location is king, and something will rise here but time… TIME is key.
^ Exactly.
The Reddit community on r/nyc has spoken about this design. If you’re interested in seeing how others feel about this, view here
I’m glad that the “blank wall” isn’t actually a true “blank wall” and windows and other elements are included. It’s not an ugly design in my opinion.



