NEW YORK | PAC NYC (Performing Arts Center at WTC) | 138 FT

That portion from the middle of the north side to the NE corner has a concrete roadway, you can see where the drop off for the asphalt is again on my 6th image.

1 Like

Seems odd, I wonder why they didn’t plan to do the whole road in asphalt.

“Value engineering”

1 Like

Seems kind of odd to quote that as being a VE when concrete road surfaces are more expensive than asphalt surfaces…

3 Likes

Bus stops/loading dock areas often utilize concrete roadways; these lanes and exits will host both heavily as those back doors are loading docks for the theater as well as entry/exit for the main WTC garage.

They use concrete in these areas because high tonnage buses and trucks can distort asphalt very quickly when braking/standing on asphalt, meaning the roadway would have to be repaved more then is typical.

9 Likes

I guess the eastern portal will be more heavily used since the western portal leads to asphalt.

2 Likes

17 Likes

MUCH better. It makes it feel more like a sidewalk for sure. If they paint it like they did to Fulton along the Oculus we’ll be set.

4 Likes

I’ve noticed that at bus stops where the asphalt squishes up to the curb.

10 Likes

They seem kind of hung up on those last two patches of dirt, perhaps complications with the utilities beneath.

1 Like

15 Likes

Looks like somewhere in the past 4 days they took off the rear panels on those 2 middle windows.

3 Likes

I may be wrong but in regards to the staircase on the east plaza of the PAC, I believe this is where the stairs would lead to. again, I may be wrong, this is just my assumption.

I didn’t get a chance to check out the north or west side of the PAC but I did manage to get these pics earlier today.

19 Likes

That’s possible, but since it’s also a connection to One WTC, that exit could lead to the SE staircase in the interior corner of the building (one WTC that is) at grade.

If the stair on the west side of the PAC does lead to/from the concourse level it seems more likely that the 2nd more eastern of the exits on the mezzanine level of the western concourse would connect to it and not the one adjacent to the One WTC concourse entrance (the one in your pic).

Nice pics btw.

1 Like

How will those trees get any access to water?

1 Like

Yeah they seem to line up, but only if there’s a long corridor running north.

2 Likes

As I mentioned, they don’t line up, it would be the exit stair to the east that would be the one that would theoretically connect to the stair on the west side of the PAC, not the one adjacent to the One WTC concourse entrance.

But either way, there are 2 stairs in the concourse that lead to ground level through the PAC, one in each of the southern corners, the egress doors on the east side of the base are adjacent to the corner and the ones on the west most likely exit to the stage door entrance on the west.

So it is quite possible as you mentioned in the past that they are just egress for the VSC, we just won’t know because they will not be labeled as such, only that they are egress as those on the southern edge of the memorial are labeled.

I surmised that mostly because, if that staircase isn’t VSC emergency egress, where would it otherwise be? The location just made me think “oh, of course, the VSC needs a fire exit and why wouldn’t it be here?”.

1 Like

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cwiv50ksAcT/

12 Likes