NEW YORK | PAC NYC (Performing Arts Center at WTC) | 138 FT

They are wisely building in as many security features as they can.

1 Like

Since that photo was taken, there seems to be a sidewalk developing on the west side of the 2WTC block. Perhaps there will be a long-term fence alongside it?

3 Likes

Like I mentioned before, they are probably not going to move the boundary of the 2WTC fence because there is no reason to do so at this time. It is only limited to the malls underground mech equipment and that’s all it needs to be limited to.

They are more likely trying to regrade the lot to be atleast more level since I mentioned before that the new curb was a few inches taller than the existing asphalt walking surface. That and they could also just be redoing the paving on the lot to be all concrete instead of a mix of asphalt and concrete in small phases.

2 Likes

redoing the paving on the lot to be all concrete

That would make the most sense, just making it all consistent level concrete up until the existing 2WTC construction fence.

2 Likes

The 2 stairs going up the same direction are very visible

9 Likes

Also, here are all the other pics I took around the building. It’s sad how much litter there is, especially for a memorial park/grounds. :man_facepalming:

12 Likes

The Vesey side makes me wonder whether they’re just going to pave the old concrete with asphalt or if they’ll redo the concrete altogether on the 7WTC side.

They’ll be ripping it up and redoing it as is already visible/occuring on the east side of that stretch of Vesey (pics 4/7). Pics 1/4 show that the sirface is not level with the new asphalt surface.

2 Likes

Looks like asphalt is the plan for the western side of the 2WTC block, interesting choice.

2 Likes

It’s definitely….a choice…Hopefully it’s painted like they did recently on Fulton next to the oculus. This looks a bit strange otherwise as it is. We’ll have to see how it winds up (temporarily of course) when all is said and done.

1 Like

I’m not surprised that they chose to continue the asphalt surface because that existing adjacent surface is already all asphalt, no need to rip it all up and pour a new concrete sidewalk that will also be temporary when it’s actually still in good condition, considering that asphalt is cheaper than concrete as well.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they paint it either as strongisland mentioned.

2 Likes

The road behind the PAC is also being torn up and redone in addition to the one by where 2WTC is. The PAC itself is pretty much almost ready, I noticed various LCD displays turned on inside when photographing it. There also seem to be some of the black panels with the capability of being opened as pictured in one of my photos.

19 Likes

So beautiful! It looks like it’s made of silver.

1 Like

Really like the way they sectioned the stairs to follow the pattern of the granite. Nice touch, wonder if it shows as well in person as it does in photograph #8 above.

4 Likes

I actually didn’t notice that detail when I went and took my photos. Next time I might stop and take a closer look and see if its noticable in person.

I mentioned a few weeks back that it’s nice that the gridline of the marble continues throughout the angled portion and the granite down to the sidewalk. It’s a nice thought to the strict geometry of the building. I’d say it’s very noticeable.

1 Like

The east sidewalk is starting to be pressure washed and a lot of materials have been removed from both sides of Greenwich. It’s even possible that they may narrow the fence enclosure. But they’ll probably put some planters first.

7 Likes

I wonder whether they’ll reconnect Greenwich before Vesey is opened, even if just for the sake of foot traffic and service vehicles. I’d prefer them to just get it all done in one go, though.

@TKDV is probably right that everything from the temporary western curb of the 2WTC block to the 2WTC columns will just be a little painted asphalt wedge-shaped public space. If so, it would be ripe for vendors to hawk merch and grub to the PAC attendees across the street.

3 Likes

That’s a good point to make, but I think they’ll wait for the small stretch of Vesey to be finished between the PAC and 7 WTC before fully opening Greenwich St. I havent walked back there since that last time but im sure theyve already ripped up over half of the length that needs to be ripped up, and as we saw with Greenwich, it didn’t take long from the time the concrete underlayment was poured to when the asphalt was, and this is a much smaller portion being done on Vesey so it should finish quickly.

At this point the Greenwich St sidewalk (but for the rear portion)of the PAC is essentially complete. It really is phenomenal to see this part of the complex rapping up, a visual that will be even more stunning when all the barriers and fences are gone from around the building and it’s fully lit up at night.

14 Likes

14 Likes