NEW YORK | NYCFC Stadium

Yes, I was right we had the thread.

:eyes:

13 Likes

Nice finds, both the article and render.

Looks like the 2 apartment buildings on the right have remained unchanged since they were first revealed. The middle one is new however, or atleast the first time I’ve seen it. But it’s clear that the stadium design is just a place holder, though the overall mass may end up like that.

1 Like

1100 units across the 3 buildings, the first 2 are only 850 or so.

1 Like

I was looking at a Willets Point presentation that was focused on the 2 apartments buildings and it mentioned both of those as being the origin of the 1100 unit figure, so I had thought that the new building in the above render and what appears to be the 4th tower behind the stadium out of view to make up the new 1400 additional units.

Why SSP have two threads about this?

Who knows, that doesn’t have anything to do with here

1 Like

Related, Sterling to Develop Queens Soccer Stadium (therealdeal.com)

4 Likes

The Architects Newspaper
More info on this topic

6 Likes

Yeah that’s definitely a place holder. I wonder what thw design will look like

1 Like
3 Likes

Hmm. This will be NYC’s first professional soccer stadium I’ve heard. I wonder if they’ll play in it for the World Cup in 2026. If it’s done in time.

Edit: Nvm lol. Just went reading, it’s expected to open in 2027.

It wouldn’t have the capacity required to host a world cup game anyways. Supposedly the final will be at Metlife, which is close enough

Blehh

The smallest of the stadiums slated to host is in Canada with a capacity of about 30K so it would’ve been possible to host if it was to finish in time for the tournament. Making it expandable in capacity. However, I’m disappointed in the size. If you’re building something like this which is a first for NYC, they should go big (at least 40K).

the soccer fanbase in NYC is split with there being two teams, also Soccer is fourth or fifth at the highest in popularity between the other major league sports. 25k will be fine.

I think the fan base for soccer in NYC is a lot bigger than you give credit for and its not just those who follow MLS. The sport is also growing in popularity.

2 Likes

Would’ve liked a stadium in Manhattan. I remember the rumors of pier 40 being turned into their stadium

Should at the very least have a modular/flexible design that would allow for future expansion of the demand supports it.

Good idea about expansion but I suspect it would be very challenging to pull that off.

1 Like