NEW YORK | Macys Tower | FLOORS | 800 FT

1.5 million is a lot of square feet. One Vanderbilt has 1.7 million. I hope whatever is build here will compliment the ESB

5 Likes

Please tell me they’re not going to tear down the current Macy’s building.

They aren’t, the plans are to build one on top of it

2 Likes

They better take this opportunity to remodel the store though. The historic facade may be nice, but the inside is currently a hot, disgusting mess which is all but unbearable to shop at.

4 Likes

Wouldn’t be bad if they could finally get that corner lot and replace it with a plaza/new entrance too!

2 Likes

I avoid that area like I avoid Times Square. Is that Sunglass hut still in that little pos building that you’re talking about? those last little holdout buildings on otherwise full block lots are NIMBYism at its worst.

There’s no way that Macy’s is going to do this on spec. They will need to find someone to lease at least half the tower before they start and they would have to be willing to wait ~2-3 years.

I think that without that little building, tourists would have a bit of a harder time finding Macy’s, and at this point, the giant red bag has become a part of that corner. And I love the history behind it. Like the holdouts at 30 Rock. It lets everyone know what the area was like before. But also… I do try my best to avoid it because there’s so many people there lol. I just wonder how the massing of this tower would look too.

macys1906 P1220150

6 Likes

I hope that whatever rises here, they make an effort to match the tower’s façade to the store. It would be very cool if it looks like the tower was original and had been there the whole time.

But let’s be honest, it will most likely end up being all glass

I assumed that they’d tear down the newer annex on the west side fronting 7th.

I think that the original portion on the east side by Herald Sq is land marked.

2 Likes

This filthy, disgusting garbage on the south side of 34th should come down.

5 Likes

This is going to be a big tower for the area. It will really help to pull the Midtown skyline more south. Lets pray for a great design

10 Likes

Does anyone have vintage photos of what was here before these shops?

Looks like we got some renders

From skyscraperpage

23 Likes

I like it, it’s a good design that has enough details to make it not a boring box.

2 Likes

Wow. That looks great.

7 Likes

Nice. Based on One Penn Plaza on the left, which is 750 feet tall, this looks about 950ish

3 Likes

Near super tall status. A solid addition. A preview of things to come, with the Penn Station district.

6 Likes

The facade texture looks nice. She’s a chunky one.

2 Likes

Time to make another model

4 Likes

Very cool. Nothing in your face, just a lot of good details: well-proportioned setbacks, a slight taper at the top, subtle crown, and of course the texture. Reminds me a bit of Pelli’s Trinity Commons; I know that’s not the most beloved tower around here, but I mean that as a compliment.

3 Likes