NEW YORK l Zero Irving (114 E 14th St) l 286 FT l 22 FLOORS

Hopefully something nice will rise here.

2 Likes

Demo is complete and they have started digging.

Render from the recent YIMBY article for the new tech offices.

7 Likes

5 Likes
4 Likes

Today

9 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

The irony is too funny. They are building a ‘tech training center’ using unskilled and clearly untrained labor. I try to be positive but the construction industry in NYC seems to be fairly mediocre; I am a close observer and work in the trades - so can judge pretty well.

That was a close call with the scaffolding falling: two guys almost fell off and left dangling by the tie lines. Many construction sites in NYC are using unskillled - and often undocumented - construction workers; safe unionized construction sites are becoming a thing of the past.

SSC and YIMBY are pro-development forums: so are not the right place to document all the ‘unsafe’ and/or ‘illegal’ activities going on at many job sites - but I see a lot that I would like to publicly report and expose. If any one knows where I can go online to ‘document’ or otherwise publicly report work site violations in the construction industry please do let me know. I am channeling my inner Julian Assange and Wiki Leaks. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I thought I would never see the day when NYC of all places would have non union illegal construction workers for major projects but here we are. Payola everywhere.

1 Like

You can report violations of safe construction standards to 311. It will have the same effect as doing nothing.

1 Like

Yes, NYC of all places is a good point - we are supposed to be liberal and concerned about worker rights, fair pay, and safety. I was a middle manager in one of the Unionized construction trades: I can tell you trade unions in NYC construction are disappearing. I would like to find a way to document and publicize
safety, and labor law violations; but as I mentioned the Architecture Forums are not the appropriate place for that type of citizen activism. I will admit that ‘Payola’ was going in the union shops too - but we all need to do better from what is see going on at these job sites.

TRUE, 311 wast of time. However, I thinking more like ‘naming & shaming’ on a public forum: sort of news channel 4 - “better get Vaquero”. I want to make PUBLIC any violations that I see and can substantiate with facts, evidence, photos etc. There really is no way to do that - which is why so much ‘questionable behavior’ is taking place. However, again - this is not the place.

https://www.cityrealty.com/nyc/market-insight/features/future-nyc/zero-irving-new-tech-hub-near-union-square-rises/26141

4 Likes

Tectonic

10 Likes
2 Likes

…Zero Irving? :smile_cat:

1 Like
3 Likes

August 22, via Twitter

They were probally doing utility work.

I’ve seen this a lot, especially with Con-Edison. I use to deal with Con Edison as a client, and the city essentially gives tickets to their own people. For example, sometimes working on a poletop or manhole or an underground electrical switch requires either a bus lane or bike lane to be quarantined off. Will depend on where the utility marker is.

Now, with UPS or Fed Ex, its just the cost of doing business. They actually factor in traffic tickets or parking tickets into the budget.

That’s the one negative with NYC, is that they are very aggressive at giving those orange envelope tickets. They have hordes of traffic enforcement, even in areas where its quiet, like portions of Queens. They come out of the woodwork.

4 Likes