NEW YORK | JFK Airport Renovation/Upgrades

A sad fact of life is that good design is expensive.

1 Like

I like the designs I see for Chicago’s O‘Hare airport more.

i don’t understand why JFK is so congested and slot restricted if it handles around 350k aircraft a year, way lees than for example Heathrow (450k) and has less gates and just 2 runways.

3 Likes

Images from the article above^ Thanks waymond.
ALTEXT

Download image »

The expanded and reconfigured terminal will include five new widebody gates and 130,000 square feet of new and renovated space.

ALTEXT
Download image »

Architectural features will define, guide and direct customers towards an expanded joint premium check-in area on the ticketing level of JFK’s Terminal 8.

ALTEXT

Download image »

A high-end champagne bar defines the entry to American and British Airway’s most exclusive lounge.

ALTEXT

Download image »

Distinctive elements and finishes create a unique sense of place for guests in the adjacent lounge as they dine and relax.

5 Likes

https://qns.com/2022/02/mta-bus-route-changes-march-amid-jfk-redevelopment/

2 Likes

The old Alitalia lounge will become a Turkish Airlines lounge.

1 Like

Isn’t Terminal 1 at JFK going to be demolished soon anyway? Why spend money to renovate a new lounge if it’s all going to be destroyed in about a year’s time for a new terminal

2 Likes

Yeah, JFK Terminal 1 is scheduled for demolition and replacement by a much larger terminal, but not sure if it’s happening shortly or a few years from now.

Plans are underway for the first-ever lounges dedicated to Delta One customers. Delta One-exclusive lounges will open their doors in JFK and LAX in 2023 and 2024, respectively, as Delta invests further in those key U.S. gateways.

The JFK Delta One Club will be located near Concourse B in Terminal 4 and measure approximately 36,000 square feet. . . .

3 Likes

This link seems to be for the old design (much better) though.

I was looking through the thread to see if this link was anywhere (I couldn’t find it) and I saw the original proposal renderings. My god the new ones look terrible in comparison. Like night and day. This is supposed to be the flagship of the NYC region, even LaGuardia looks better.

2 Likes

The design featured in that link is the original design which was subsequently changed by Cuomo (his plan at least made JFK consistent in appearance).

The only way we’d get some truly top-notch airports would be to completely remove the PA’s penny pinching and value engineering entirely but sadly that would never happen. EWR’s design was changed at least three times before we got what is currently being built in addition to the numerous changes and revisions they decided to do to each design (older renderings feature an extra ground-control tower which would help manage the ground movements of aircraft). Thank god at least LGA was lucky to escape the PA’s value engineering and appears to be built fully on spec while also looking incredibly awesome.

Some other critiques:

• AA’s Terminal 8 was butchered from the start (only half of it was built) and finishing the second half would be the best solution instead of simply adding 2 gates and calling it a ‘major expansion’.

• Delta cheaped out with the T4 expansion/renovation and the design of the expansion looks pretty crappy with plenty of low ceilings in the new waiting area.

• I found this other T4 renovation that I’ve not seen much and I personally like it.

• I actually like the new Gensler-designed T1 design although in the previous design I like how T4 is connected to T1 and both are renovated in a similar style bringing some uniformity to the terminals instead of the discombobulated mess the current terminals are and will be post-renovation.

• The original T6 design for Jetblue is far better than the butchered new version the PA decided to stick with. It looked sleek and appeared to be airier than what they decided to stick with.

1 Like

in any of these cases, its not the PA deciding design.

T6 and T1 are both developer jobs and they control design. Both jobs have been value engineered down to save money.

1 Like

I wouldn’t say the new Gensler-designed T1 is ‘value engineered.’ They at least selected an architect with a very diverse portfolio of high-quality projects including airports.

this is a pretty dumbed down version of what was going to be built pre covid.

1 Like
1 Like

Looks like they brought back the T1 to T4 airside connection at JFK which vanished with the redesign of Terminal 1. It’s going to make connecting flights much easier between these two terminals now. It also seems Delta’s bringing back the full concourse expansion at T4 instead of that slop-job they decided to do.

4 Likes

Do you by chance have a link to where I can see these plans for JFK? I’m particularly interested in seeing what’s happening with T4.

It’s part of a final environmental assessment.

2 Likes

Construction for the new Terminal 1 is expected to kick off on July 8 with the ‘Green’ garage being closed for demolition.

3 Likes