NEW YORK | Gowanus Canal Rezoning

8 Likes

Just to let you guys know the action tomorrow…

2 Likes

Of course, NIMBYism at its’ finest. Always something to pick on. It’s annoying. Let’s just ignore the dilapidation of Gowanus for many more years, right?

…Planning lawsuit to fight the rezoning: NYC activists plan lawsuit to fight Gowanus Canal rezoning. Do these people have anything to do?

The daily news are the anti everything and everybody. Not trying to be mean but these people have no lives :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Daily digest: Harvard Divinity School’s Swartz Hall expands, an interim GSAPP dean is named, and more (archpaper.com)

After NYC pledges $200 million in affordable housing repairs, the Gowanus rezoning seems set

Yesterday, New York City reached a deal that will likely set the Gowanus, Brooklyn, rezoning in motion. New York City Councilmembers Stephen Levi and Brad Lander, both representatives for the area and key votes to moving the plan ahead, had been holding out until the city promised funds for repairs at the neighborhood’s Gowanus Houses and Wyckoff Gardens NYCHA projects (an issue Mayor-elect Eric Adams had also hinged his support on). Now, $200 million will go toward much-needed repairs at both complexes, $65 million more than was originally asked for.

The 82-block rezoning is expected to create approximately 8,500 new apartments, 3,000 of them set aside as affordable, and is a major component of Mayor de Blasio’s plan to boost housing in the city. So much so that, as with many of the administration’s other ambitious “legacy” projects facing down opposition, they’re willing to use both the carrots and sticks available to make sure each passes. In the case of the Gowanus rezoning, that also includes allocating an additional $179 million for sewer upgrades and strict new rules for waste and stormwater management for new developments in the area to prevent flooding.

2 Likes

City Reaches Deal for NYCHA Funding in Gowanus Rezoning (therealdeal.com)

Zoning approvals today:

3 Likes
5 Likes

Gowanus is really shaping up to be Brooklyn’s version of West Chelsea. 80 Flatbush, Brooklyn Tower and what not are shaping up the Downtown Brooklyn skyline, but now, you will have a nice, gentrified waterfront with a good amount of mid-rise, mixed-use buildings. I am sure some more activities will be available such as kayaking and paddle-boarding will flesh out the culture of that particular segment of waterfront. Some challenges await with the brownfield, superfund cleanup, but that’s what needs to be done here. Some cross-river presence to the skyline will make it look so much bigger and better than before.

3 Likes

The number of filed permits for Gowanus is crazy. I absolutely cannot wait to see how these new developments turn out to look.

1 Like
5 Likes

Is there a render of what the future gowanus canal could look like?

yellow-buildings
Some preliminary renderings…

10 Likes

In aerials and in the broader picture this will seem a decent mid rise/high rise extension off from Downtown Brooklyn when it fills in.

3 Likes

Hmm. I wish we could get a few 30 to 40 story buildings there. I feel as if 30 will be the max (I don’t know the zoning / height requirement laws for the area). But it will be cool to have a mini urban center developing outside of Downtown Brooklyn, as seen similarly in areas such as Jamaica, Queens, Forest Hills, and the waterfronts of Greenpoint and Wburg.

5 Likes

Interesting ideas to consider now that this has gone through.

Interesting and all (the area could use more green space) but more likely the site will be dominated by housing:

1 Like

They should make individual, private esplanades/plazas in each and every project for the residents there. Sort of like how the Chicago Riverwalk came to be.

1 Like

Yeah, would be great for the residents, and the general public.

1 Like
1 Like