NEW YORK | Flatiron House - 39 West 23rd St | 322 FT | 25 FLOORS

2 Likes

Earlier today

8 Likes
2 Likes

I read one of the articles and found out that there is an affordable housing component: 4 rental units. So they would qualify as ‘essential’ construction. There are some cool features on this facade: the curtain wall has some interesting set-back features that are very unusual. I think maybe Juliette balconies or something creating that extra level of depth on the facade.

OK, I found this comment in the article by Stan C. which explains - "The recessed terraces & illustrated intertwined plantings are both a seemingly effective and an aesthetically pleasing way of helping to buffer the sounds of busy 23rd street traffic.

1 Like

What project is this, and is their a thread.

6 Likes

Moved it, along with few posts pertaining to this project.

2 Likes

Flatiron House at 39 West 23rd Street in May 2020

4 Likes

Yesterday

7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCCMZzTAuwm/?igshid=1hl3nnb4rc7wk

7 Likes

August 8, 2020

7 Likes

The buildings in this area are so gorgeous!

2 Likes

I like watching the facade on this being built; the steel framing on the 23rd street facade is very unusual looking. I see that the plan is to build out some sort of balcony, plantings, and large windows.

This is not a ‘generic’ residential building as I can now see from the renderings and construction photos.

I like to see new construction modernist buildings being designed and built in such a way that equal the beauty of classic architecture while still being fresh and original. These modernist buildings also permit the opportunity to do unusual apartment shapes and configurations to suite contemporary styles of living and new technologies for heating, cooling, views, and intricate window configurations.

I believe doing modernist work in architecture is the optimal solution for any new building in order to achieve both beauty in form, and effectiveness in function.

The work done by RAM and other similar firms that specialize in ‘classical’ or ‘traditional’ design achieve aesthetic results the are undoubtedly beautiful; but, one must admit, there is little that is inventive for original about that type of Architectural Design.

2 Likes

This is a very nicely detailed facade: the thick stone panels, the double layer with the windows set deep inside, and the eventual iron fence for the balcony.

There is one small section (see photo) where they left out the stone facade panels for some reason; but that now gives one the opportunity to see how they hang each stone onto the heavy gauge steel ‘L’ brackets - very substantial materials throughout the entire facade.

This is Modern architecture with traditional design features; the traditional motifs make for a very attractive look, and the modernist form permits for highly articulated and functional design features that can shape-shift to fit the unique program requirements of each building.

That ‘double deep’ facade was clearly a design feature put in place to set-back the front apartment windows from the street noise and artificial night light emanating up from the busy double lane of 23rd street below.

There is average ‘building standard’ and then there is ‘above average’ when it comes to these new buildings in general: this is way above average - perhaps even iconic.

5 Likes

I thought those were “stone” slabs of some sort: was wrong. I came across this website that explains the material used, and the process of making the terra-cotta slabs on the facade.

5 Likes

9 Likes
4 Likes

7 Likes

This is one project that seems to go both unnoticed and under appreciated. I describe this as a ‘total design solution’ - function, beauty, and modernity.

I particularly appreciate that this one west facing wall has been artfully clad with metal panels; this type of lot line wall would often be left raw exposed masonry.

I rate this a one of the best low-rise residential buildings in NYC.

PS. I will try to fix that photo later… :confounded:

4 Likes

10 Likes

Pretty sure this is the right building, correct me if I’m wrong tho.

2 Likes