NEW YORK | East Midtown Greenway

Is there no individual topic for the East Midtown Greenway? If not, here we go. If this already exists as part of a broader thread (midtown waterfront esplanade? east river construction? costal resiliency?) feel free to delete.

“The East Midtown Greenway has been underway for the past several years and restarted in October 2020. It is reported to be completed in the fall of 2023, bringing the vision of a continuous 32-mile loop around Manhattan closer to reality.”

2 Likes

Renderings via : East Midtown Greenway

4 Likes

Video via Stantec:

4 Likes

Via NYC EDC:

5 Likes

I’d like to see the FDR closed south of 125th St.

4 Likes

I’d like for the FDR to just be brought to ground level and made like the WSH.

2 Likes

Seriously. This project touts coastal resiliency as an objective, but I’m honestly struggling to find what those features are other than this greenway being elevated and unlikely to get flooded. Actual resiliency would be raising the FDR and/or creating this greenway on top of a levee.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much in favor of this project as it is.

2 Likes

That’s a good point, I would only be up for a similar design as the WSH because having the “public” space as it is now under the FDR isn’t very welcoming, it would be an enormous undertaking but putting the FDR on street level and adding more land to the side of the island to make greenspace like on WSH would be much better as they could implement a levee in that scenario as well.

2 Likes
7 Likes

“East River bike path & park. Set to open later this summer, it will fill a significant gap in the Manhattan Waterfront Greenway between East 38th and East 61st street.” Screenshots via NYBucketList

17 Likes

Screenshots via R/MicromobilityMovement

14 Likes
7 Likes
7 Likes
6 Likes

Paywall - I captured a couple of pics

18 Likes

Do you happen to know what street that pedestrian bridge is at?

Came across my feed this morning. Excellent views to watch LIC and Brooklyn rise.

@stache the pedestrian bridge is at 54th Street.

10 Likes

I was able to check it out earlier today. It’s really nice and it’s a great new vantage pt to take lots of great shots of the up and coming LIC skyline.

13 Likes

I took some photos earlier today as well.

In addition to the views of Long Island City (which are very nice; I can’t deny), the defining feature of this space is the very loud of noise of traffic from the FDR Drive. It’s difficult to have a conversation without having to speak very loudly or shout. I know nothing can be done about that; I guess it’s just my way of saying that it’s not a bad walk, but whoever it was in that YouTube video that claimed this is one of the world’s best greenways is an abject fool.

13 Likes

Thank you!