NEW YORK | Central Park Tower (217 W 57th St) | 1,550 FT | 98 FLOORS

22 Likes

Wow, that’s seriously bright. I didn’t expect it to be ready so soon.

2 Likes

It is indeed very bright. It’s just this square instead of some more-interesting shape, and it just sort of floats there, instead of capping a visible nighttime silhouette. I don’t love it.

1 Like

Well, do we know that the whole lighting scheme of the building is being shown?

1 Like

I assume this is just a test, and that the entire crown will be lit.

4 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I assume too, so can’t understand why people would be so quick to judge that aspect of it (that it looks too isolated)

2 Likes

Oh I do assume that there’s more to it. The question is what.

It looked like only one side was lit last night. It would be very weird if they didn’t light up the other sides as well. But if that’s it — they light up all four sides like what we saw last night — that would only be brighter and look just as isolated and weird, IMO.

However if there are other lit elements that extend down the building, etc. then that would change my opinion.

I take your point that I should reserve judgement. I certainly didn’t mean to imply that this the final and complete lighting scheme. I have no such knowledge.

3 Likes

This was certainly a test and not the final product. My main concern is how dim it makes the crown on 1VB look :joy:

1 Like
16 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/COWskEGlpwZ/?igshid=1xaoejo15i2lb

18 Likes

Actually, judging by the lighting one One57, this might just be it.

1 Like

23 Likes

Hopefully that’s just a test of the lighting, because I think it looks way too bright.

2 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/COakCKQja08/?igshid=14i5pfchwrcbh

21 Likes

Pics by Michael Young

16 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/COipjv7BxqR/?igshid=4n6hqjn5gv4y

16 Likes

I’m starting to feel that this tower is a bit of an eyesore during the daytime. It has fantastic cladding but its massing is too awkward and bland. Especially compared to 111 W57, it looks like a joke.
However, I think at night this tower will really come alive as a classy icon with the lighting, once it is completed. So I’m very conflicted about this one. A spire probably would have helped, and maybe a height cut to more of 432’s height

3 Likes

I agree with the eyesore thought. I’m also torn. The spire? Eh. I think spires are overrated. The height: why would you shorten it? It’s only 11% taller than 432. If all the new buildings were the same height, that would look weird. This is far from my favorite new building, but I do like the impact it has on the skyline of Manhattan.

Look at this. Manhattan is getting a new flat ceiling. A tall one, but kinda flat nonetheless.

4 Likes

I guess I just feel that this one, being the least elegant of the supertalls, should not be the tallest one, as it draws attention to itself and away from better towers like 111.

2 Likes

I find it mundane—tall but mundane. it’s just another glass box with marginally interesting trim, an ugly (from the street) cantilever, and an unattractive store on the ground floors. Other towers—111, 220 CPS, the MOMA tower, and 432 are much more interesting and creative. This is just an engineering and wealth power display, not an aesthetically pleasing design. 111 and MOMA display all three.

2 Likes