NEW YORK | Beth Israel Medical Center Redevelopment

I put this in visions because there’s nothing concrete yet

Mount Sinai Beth Israel will close its hospital and replace it with a much smaller facility, significantly reducing the number of hospital beds in lower Manhattan.

Beth Israel, which has struggled financially and says it typically uses less than 60% of its roughly 825 beds, said Wednesday it would sell the property and open a 70-bed hospital and emergency room in 2020. The new hospital will be two blocks from the current facility.

The downsizing is part of a $550 million plan by Beth Israel’s owner to adapt to a changing health-care landscape where patients are using more outpatient care and spending less time in hospitals.

“We are not diminishing, in any way, the services,” said Kenneth Davis, president and chief executive officer of Mount Sinai Health System, which acquired Beth Israel in 2013. “We are not closing the doors.”

Still, the plan continues a broader retrenchment of hospitals in New York City, where a number of facilities have closed in recent years due to financial losses or under a statewide plan to reduce excess capacity.

Mount Sinai will sell the 16th Street property where Beth Israel sits, hospital officials said. The property’s current value is about $600 million, Dr. Davis said. Beth Israel has outstanding debt of more than $200 million, hospital officials said.

2 Likes

There were some leaks before that announcement last month

May 13, 2016 - Nurses from Mount Sinai Beth Israel made emergency calls to The Villager on Tuesday.

It wasn’t to provide medical care — but rather to let the newspaper know what they say is already a done deal: that the historic hospital will close, and “sooner rather than later.”

Official word may come extremely soon, the nurses said.

“They are going to make a big announcement before the end of the month,” one of them said. “We anticipate this is coming next week.”

The closing of St. Vincent’s Hospital in 2010 is still being viscerally felt on the Lower West Side. It’s almost unfathomable then, that so soon afterward, the Downtown area could now also lose Beth Israel, its lone remaining large hospital.

Last June, as The Villager first reported — based on the tip of a concerned reader who heard it from his doctor — hospital officials were telling staff that the Beth Israel campus would be sold and that the hospital would be rebuilt nearby. In a way, it all sounds a bit similar to what happened with St. Vincent’s, where ambitious plans to build a new state-of-the-art hospital tower fell through, shortly after which St. Vincent’s closed under a mountain of debt.

According to three veteran Beth Israel nurses who contacted The Villager this week, hospital administrators kept up the rebuilding mantra until a couple of months ago — when the narrative abruptly shifted dramatically, and it was learned that the place would be shuttered for good. Now, no one is saying much at all.

The article from June 2015:

June 18, 2015 - A Villager subscriber tipped the newspaper off this week that big changes are afoot at Beth Israel Hospital. Basically, doctors affiliated with the hospital, at E. 16th St. and First Ave., are saying that its administration hopes to rebuild the hospital, ideally at a spot nearby or, failing that, at the current site.

One doctor told the reader that “Mount Sinai Hospital is planning to sell the property Beth Israel is on and relocate the hospital.”

Providing further details, another doctor informed him that, “At a recent meeting of the Beth Israel medical staff, the C.E.O. told them that the plan is to build a state-of-the-art new hospital one block north of the present hospital. Apple, Google and other high-technology firms are to be involved. The plan is to keep the present hospital open until the new hospital is completed and then sell the property. If they cannot get the necessary governmental approvals or secure the new land needed, they will renovate the present hospital.”

The Villager reader spoke on condition of anonymity and declined to identify the two doctors, saying he feared causing a problem for the doctors and jeopardizing his relationship with them.

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Mt Sinai should sell that crappy building on E 34th.

Sinai is horrible.

1 Like

I think that the main campus on 5th is fine. I was talking about the doctors office building on 34th.

1 Like

I’m just griping about the hospital in general. I like the Pei interior.

I haven’t been inside in years. NYC hospitals tend to be shitty looking even if they offer world-class treatment.

I’d like to see Sinai sell this junk. Eichner’s planned 35th St development is right behind it.

3 Likes

Yes nobody would miss this assemblage.

2 Likes

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: NEW YORK | LOW-RISE / GENERAL Development News + Construction

Beth Israel is now part of Sinai if that helps.

1 Like

I really hope that Mt. Sinai sells that disgusting building on 34th just west of Park to Eichner to Combine with his contiguous assemblage on 35th St. It’s a revolting eyesore.

1 Like

Thank God for this. Absolutely horrible place.

Mount Sinai recently announced it intends to unplug the iconic, full-service hospital on July 12, claiming it is simply “too big” and a massive money loser. But advocates and local politicians charge the health system has already been illegally moving services and departments out of the Gramercy hospital — in advance of the state’s official O.K.

Mount Sinai, in fact, already has submitted a closure plan to state D.O.H. for Beth Israel — yet, the scheme is still pending approval.

1 Like

Sinai is horrible.