NEW YORK | 77 Greenwich Street | 503 FT | 40 FLOORS

I actual think that looks cool lol

1 Like
1 Like

https://twitter.com/Tectonicphoto

4 Likes
2 Likes

This one is still going on.
They just built a massive scaffolding over Trinity Pl.

6 Likes

What a boondoggle. Heavily suggests that the stone tiles are falling off the facade and that is being put up for pedestrian protection

5 Likes

Rbrome called it. These tiles suck.

3 Likes

Lol another great prediction

2 Likes

There were early indications of this happening; which was posted here in this very thread.

Scroll up the thread to see several good photos -

What can I say… :person_shrugging:

1 Like

This forum should maintain a “top ten” list of ugliest new buildings each year. This one could easily end up number 1. It’s awful.

1 Like

It is beautiful.

Funny how differently people can have completely different views regarding the aesthetics/attractiveness of a given work of Architecture.

That tile facade issue will be a relatively simple matter to fix given the overall success of this project.

Take a look at the video on this website, and view some of the amazing work done on the interiors: you may come away with a different opinion. FX always does good work IMHO…cheers

2 Likes

It is alright. With better materials, the base would have been very nice

2 Likes

The architectural concept might be beautiful, but a building which will likely never spend more than a few months of its lifespan at a time without a sidewalk shed is, ipse facto, hideous and a detriment to the neighborhood. The facade engineer absolutely s*** the bed on this project and basic aluminum rain screen would have been superior to whatever this value engineered, millimeters-thick stone cladding is. It is 2024 and these panels were first falling apart in 2019– so they have been working on these defective units for five years without success…

2 Likes

Yes you are correct, and there are two different issues to be addressed.

I am thinking of a way to express the merits of the design “concept” - to use your term.

There is the ‘form’ and then the ‘function’ - the architects (in interior designers in this case) had to address both issues.

Here on this forum, we mostly address ‘form/aesthetics’ of the building ‘design concept’.

I do not find the aesthetics of this building to be ‘awful’ by any stretch of the imagination. For example; I think of the aesthetic aspect of any architectural design as being a work of art such as a painting or sculpture. So, I have this personal method of ‘evaluating’ the aesthetics/form.

Here is how I go about my CRITIQUE. Some paintings/sculptures would only merit being shown at a craft fare; others are worthy of being featured in a museum of modern art. That is basically my criteria between Architecture with a capital A, and simply good (or generic) architecture.

My point was - this is a fine design ‘concept’ - Architecture with a capital A. :star_struck:

Digging into the archive for more info on this project: these are just a couple of fantastic posts by RW. We miss him. :pensive:

2 Likes

Another month, another set of tiles missing…

11 Likes