NEW YORK | 77 Greenwich Street | 503 FT | 40 FLOORS

I believe that the city owns them. Thus, they can be readily razed and made into greenspace. The air rights can be sold.

4 Likes

I would say they’re Robert Moses but they look more recent.

1 Like

If I remember right, the tan garage was built in the 1940s when the tunnel was under construction and opened around the same time in 1950. The 9/11 tribute garage was an afterthought built in 1967-1968 with a similar design but it got a very gnarly renovation in 2001.

1 Like

13 Likes
7 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFcdoCsDbbp/

5 Likes

The aesthetics of this design is better than average; that is the form factor, the functionality is very smart too.

Those angled windows on the thin north facade will greatly reduce the ‘glare’ from the harsh all-day southern exposure: resulting in a much clearer (less hazy) view overlooking the NY harbor.

The only downside is that the apartments with those wall-to-wall windows on the south/east will get massive ‘solar heat gain’ during the summer months. However, if one can afford the price of those apartments; the added electricity cost for AC and good quality solar shades will not be of any great concern.

This one is turning out great: both in form and function.

2 Likes

I agree. This is a very nice building, and the historic restoration is a nice addition too. The immediate area is lousy though. The garages should come down, and the BBT entry/exits should be decked over. This immediate area is an isolated blight on the otherwise glorious FiDi, and it deserves a lot more green space.

9 Likes

My thoughts exactly. I used to work with a client across the street from this lot so would frequently be walking around this area. Can’t tell you how awkward it is to navigate as a pedestrian. Ugly garages and cars speeding in/out of the BBT. Knock down the garages and deck over the tunnel and you’d get literal acres of PRIME real estate.

3 Likes

From 11.8.20:

8 Likes

From 4.4.21:

8 Likes

Complete

5 Likes

this has been in trouble financially but a lifeline has been extended.

Macquarie Capital , an investment division within Sydney, Australia-based financial services firm Macquarie Group , has refinanced the 40-story residential condominium tower at 77 Greenwich Street in Manhattan’s Financial District, staving off foreclosure moves by the owner’s previous senior and mezzanine lenders.

Trinity Place Holdings (TPH), the developer behind the mixed-use condo development, announced on Monday that it had secured a $167 million condo inventory financing to take out the existing, troubled construction debt and fund costs related to the completion of the project, according to JLL , which arranged the refinance.

2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

QUOTE: “Living rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows and wide plank white oak floors.”
Living rooms feature floor-to-ceiling windows and wide plank white oak floors.

View fullsize

Those are not ‘floor-to-ceiling’ windows; the extend about one foot down from the ceiling, and about 1 1/2 feet above the floor. The are large or tall or oversized windows: but not as described. We see floor-to-ceiling windows all the time; and I much prefer this type of large window that at least gives some slight sense of ‘enclosure’ from the outside.

It is a minor point I admit; bus as someone who works in the industry - that was a blaring misnomer. :man_factory_worker:

Here is a true f-t-c window…
images

1 Like

The new school is expected to open on September 8.

1 Like

Manhattan-NYC by Alex E. Pajares, on Flickr

5 Likes

They are still fixing those tiles

4 Likes

This cladding is hot trash. The panels are so thin that bird droppings can crack them; a lot of it is already chipped before they’ve even finished installation

4 Likes