NEW YORK | 740-750 8th Ave | 1067 FT | 52 FLOORS

From NYguy

A little more info on the observation deck…

End

What on earth is that outline… And from the looks of the outline of the lower deck floors, it looks like the observation deck will just look like a mess of a mass floating above the Times Square area.

7 Likes

At least we know it won’t be this square box thing

4 Likes

ODA are the design architects!! I can’t wait to see the full design.

8 Likes

Hell yeah, exterior observation deck

4 Likes

It isn’t tall enough.

2 Likes

Just wanted to share a fantasy design of my own for this site-- how I would interpret the massing prescribed by Extell, trying to make the mast-and-pod setup look a bit less jarring:

16 Likes

That looks pretty good, the overall shape and uniformity of the top part looks much better than the structural diagram and mishmash of odd shapes of the envelope of the current proposal.

But in general it’s still kind of odd, I feel like the tower would’ve looked better if the shape were just a uniform taper from the ground instead of an extrusion with an upside down tapered mass ontop.

1 Like

Thank you TKD! Yeah, my aim was to try and doll up the massing shown so far with a more uniform facade— if it were a blank slate then there’d be much more freedom to create a more pleasant holistic massing.

2 Likes

Certainly agree, I believe if Extell was able to buy the 3 remaining parcels that are causing a cut out in the site that the design could’ve had much more potential and could’ve possibly been more graceful.

2 Likes

Did Extell not buy these? I haven’t checked ACRIS.

At one point I thought that they had from an updated zoning plan, but it seems that only the building on the left had air rights transferred to this lots site per ACRIS, that is why zoning plans show the extent of the project boundary as encompassing that building, but the design does not take over the lot and leaves the building there. Similar is the case for lots 57 and 9 which had air rights transferred to this site (lot 1).

5 Likes

From my model:

7 Likes

I think this will be a good observation deck to view the northern end of the PABT development while it’s being constructed.

1 Like

This is lame.

4 Likes

To me this looks like the developers could be going for the shape of a torch (the kind held high by Lady Liberty🗽). This design could provide lots of lighting options for the night skyline.

@rgarri4 thank you for so regularly spoiling us with your craftsmanship! Do you think the proposed structure would be visible from Times Square? If so, might it be possible for you to show such an angle from your 3D model?

6 Likes

Yes you will be able to see Times Square. It’d be kinda weird if you couldn’t considering I’m pretty sure it’s meant as an attraction primarily for Times Square

1 Like

You might not be actually able to see it, considering this is West of it and not directly north or south of it.

1 Like

Are you sure? Pretty sure at this height you’ll at least be able to see the lights.

1 Like

The Paramount building and other skyscrapers might block the view, as seen in rgarri’s renderings.

Hard to tell, these are the best angles we can judge from.

6 Likes

the view from central park tower, by comparison, is a higher angle and more to the north. But that’s a very exclusive view.

4 Likes