NEW YORK | 500 Kent Avenue | FT | 23 FLOORS

Could This Prismatic Diagrid Tower Be On Tap for the Williamsburg Waterfront?

500 Kent is located within Brooklyn Navy Yard’s Industrial Business Zone (IBZ) and looks out onto the Navy Yard’s Barge Basin. Following soil remediation work, the site sat fallow as South Williamsburg upscaled around it. The Schaefer Landing development and its New York Ferry slip are just to the north. Just inland is Oosten, whose two-acre site once part of the Schaefer Beer brewery holds 216 condos currently priced from $995K. Across from it is 420 Kent Avenue, where a trio of Transformer-like rental towers developed by Elliott Spitzer are finishing construction. Across Division Avenue from the demolished power station is the Certified Lumber site which was rezoned in 2011 to allow roughly 800 units of housing.

Earlier this year, a pair of renderings emerged from the CGI firm of MOTIV Studio. Resembling a cross between Midtown’s Hearst Magazine Tower and the Gherkin in London (both designed by Lord Norman Foster), they show a prismatic diagrid tower of about 35 floors topped with trees and a facade adorned with vegetated areas. The renderings appear to be new judging from One Manhattan Square rising in the distance, but it is unknown if the design is being seriously considered.

10 Likes

VEry nice!

3 Likes

Wowzers!!!

2 Likes

I agree this is neat looking.

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes

I think this is a rendering for this site? Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

6 Likes

Those building look good; nice enough in terms of aesthetics. They are what I think of as ‘erector set’ buildings: designed for fast, efficient, cost effective construction. They did a decent job making them quite attractive looking; yet nothing to “Marvel At” in terms of aesthetics. Giving due credit to ‘Marvel Architects’ with a clever pun.

GET IT - Marvel AT. :rofl:

4 Likes

I think the renderings above aren’t for 500. They appear to be 480 and 490 Kent that’s under construction now.

2 Likes

Yes, those are not 500 Kent Avenue. The building by ‘Marvel Architects’ is in fact quite well done - truly something to “Marvel AT” indeed. :wink:

BTW - Here is a quote from one of the articles posted above. I have never seen a professional journalist use the word “renders” as a noun. I am wondering what is the correct usage of that word: “renders” or “renderings”. I am not a stickler for grammar - but this has always puzzled me when reading that word on Architecture Forums. :crying_cat_face:

QUOTE - Marvel Architects is behind the design, and the renderings they presented at the meeting show a sleek yet jagged building with interesting angles.

1 Like