NEW YORK | 432 Park Ave | 1,397 FT | 85 FLOORS

August 19 2014
Doka

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10382302_745336768845990_1180445957261302078_o.jpg

3 Likes

432 Park Avenue Now Midtown’s Tallest Building

BY: NIKOLAI FEDAK ON AUGUST 27TH 2014 AT 7:00 AM

432 Park Avenue

The latest photos of progress at 432 Park Avenue come with a diagram and insight courtesy of reader Marcatio Torres, who has been in touch with workers on-site; as most have noticed and as the illustration makes clear, the tower’s height is now significant, having nearly reached its 1,397-foot pinnacle. Besides continued vertical progress, the building has also surpassed the official roof heights of all other Midtown skyscrapers, and is now the tallest building north of One World Trade Center.

432 Park Avenue construction diagram by Marcatio Torres, larger version at link

Per Torres, “the tower is at its 76th floor (apparent floor 81). Friday had one-half of the floor-slab poured, with the remaining half poured Saturday. These upper floor slabs are poured to a depth of 18 inches, to increase their mass, as part of the building’s stiffness against wind loads.”

432 Park Avenue

With its core standing approximately 1,280′ above the street, the building is visible throughout the metropolitan region, and even with 120 feet remaining, 432 Park Avenue already seems to dwarf One57, which — for a brief moment, ending this spring — was New York City’s tallest residential tower.

432 Park Avenue

In terms of progress, “the months of April, May, and June saw six floor slabs cast, with the best month being July, which had seven floor slabs cast, a result of the refinement of the processes, the learning curve, and let’s not forget good weather with minimal delays. The open floors (drum floors) took a little more time, but the typical floors proceeded at an average 4 day cycle. This is not bad, considering that two types of concrete are used; the white architectural concrete for columns and spandrel beams, and the grey structural concrete for the core walls and floor slabs. Most flat slab construction in NYC is normally done on a two-day cycle, using just grey structural concrete.”

432 Park Avenue

While only ten floors are left before topping-out, the work up top remains substantial, and “the dynamic damper to control sway still needs to rise, and there is to be a major pour of concrete to be made near the top of the building.”

The appearance of architect Rafael Vinoly’s creation has improved significantly with scale, and the choice of white concrete for the facade shows just how attractive and versatile the material really is — as well as incredibly strong, given the forces and dynamics at play in a tower so thin and so tall.

432 Park Avenue

Such storied heights will be increasingly common in the near-future, and excavation is nearly complete at 217 West 57th Street, which will have a taller roof than 432 Park, in addition to an approximately 300-foot spire. One block east, 111 West 57th Street will be of a size closer to 432, also standing roughly 1,400 feet tall.

CIM and Macklowe are the developers, and completion is expected next year, when — likely only for a brief moment — 432 Park will actually have the highest roof in New York City, passing One World Trade Center’s by thirty feet.

5 Likes

Good read!! :smiley:

A new king in midtown skyline standing supreme.

2 Likes

I personally include the core form in the height as well and record this building as being 396.8m or 1,301.8 feet :smiley:

2 Likes

3 Likes

Took this going over the Whitestone Bridge:

5 Likes

Will anyone buy here?

1 Like

Many of the units are sold. Here is a list of the currently available units: http://432parkavenue.com/availability.html

Along with floor plans, prices, and taxes.

1 Like

Would you buy at 30 Park Place? I am torn whether to buy there. Seems like the area is being rejuvenated, but it won’t close until June 2016 and then you can’t sell until a year later. It could seem like a deal then in June 2017 when the Oculus has opened and 22 Thames/101 Murray are under construction…

1 Like

Thats normal though for NYC projects. Some projects sell out before groundbreaking event occurs. But nevertheless, with the current boom, any project is a good investment, especially in Manhattan.

Would I buy at 30 Park Place? I don’t have that kind of money. I would probably buy something along the Queens Waterfront. Long Island City would be my personal choice, but thats down in the future for me. But in terms of an investment, this tower would be a wise choice.

2 Likes

I am worried if property values tank again like they did in 2009 and the problem with 4 Seasons is that it is not trendy like a lot of the other buildings in Tribeca such as 56 Leonard. I wonder if the 4 seasons brand in tribeca could become stale.

1 Like

The West Side would be a good option for an investment in my view. Property values are guaranteed to skyrocket. Even if the market takes a tumble, that area should remain relatively stable, plus its not as expensive as other parts of Manhattan (For now).

2 Likes

With the NYC hurricane season approaching its potential peak in mid-September it’s “interesting” that "While only ten floors are left before topping-out, the work up top remains substantial, and “the dynamic damper to control sway still needs to rise, and there is to be a major pour of concrete to be made near the top of the building.” Let’s hope we don’t get a hurricane BEFORE the “sway damper” is done.

2 Likes

432 Park looks like some grotesquely elongated chimney, stabbing our skyline.
I can understand the fascination (and “civic pride”) connected with extremely tall buildings.
But the bottom line is that 432 Park is nothing but an ostentatious oasis for the super rich,
giving the rest of us a royal middle finger salute.

1 Like

432 Park Ave is bringing Nordstrom to the neighborhood.
Fancy!
Now if only they can snag a Foot Locker and Applebee’s

2 Likes

432 Park will have substantial retail of its own, with one component on 56th and Park, and the other on 57th Street. The latter will likely house some very high-end brands, while the space fronting Park has the potential to energize that avenue’s retail scene.

3 Likes

i am very fond of this building

2 Likes

432 is really a striking tower. I was going into Penn through LIC and this building just dominates the view of Midtown East. Having never physically gone through LIC before, I was amazed by the construction progress going on; the juxtaposition between electrical catenary and partially constructed residential towers proved a rapidly evolving vicinity. Bending around the corner, one can’t help but notice the mass of Midtown, and poking up through the forest is 432. And the sky had a wonderful pink glow. I’ll get a window seat next time to take pics.

3 Likes

New York, NY

911 Tribute in Lights at Twilight by branandtan, on Flickr

4 Likes

Current Status:

2 Likes